1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD 7990 folding?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Petaflops, 16 Nov 2013.

1. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Does anyone know how good a 7990 is for folding as I notice that they are now really cheap on Scan's web site. If they pack a good punch they could be a good bang per buck option. Any drawbacks with the card for folding that I should know about? Cheers.
    Pete

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

They should be a good producer.
    The comments on Vijay's Folding blog give numbers for the 7970 using Core 17, so expect better than that;
    Vijay's Blog

3. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Would the fact that it has 2 full GPU's on a single card cause any problems. Will F@H recognise both of them. Thanks.
    Pete

4. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

It shouldn't cause any problems. If, for some reason, it doesn't automatically add the second GPU slot, just add one manually.

5. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

Last edited: 17 Nov 2013
  6. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

An interesting talk with some interesting figures. If a GTX Titan can produce 120K PPD and a 7970 can do 110K PPD, I know which I'd rather spend my limited budget on. Almost no contest when you look at the comparison prices. It would be interesting if anyone has some figures for a 7990.
    Pete

7. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

I couldn't resist the price of the MSi HD7990 on the scan site and bought a couple, and wow do they perform or what! The single card was doing a PPD of 240,000 and after quite a bit of fiddling about with drivers I have got the pair of them working at 460,000 PPD. That's overclocked by 10% and the fans on full. Yes the house is warm and it is like living in a wind tunnel, but hey, what a incredible amount of work from a single machine. They blow the GTX Titan out of the water when you take into account that they only cost £329 + the VAT, which luckily for me I can claim back as a business expense. The Top 100 here I come!!!!!! :clap:

8. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

oi pete get off my tail :)

well 7.1 years to overtake me :hehe:

9. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

No worries mate. You do have rather a head start!!! These HD7990's are good though if you can keep them cool. They are currently averaging 460,000 PPD for the pair of them. That's quite a bang for your buck.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2013
  10. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Just a quick update for anyone with some spare cash. The price for the MSi HD7990 has now dropped to just £297.99 + VAT on the Scan site in their Today Only" sections. That is valid all over the weekend until they change the page late on Monday the 2nd December. Grab them while they are there!