1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning to the fold

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by javaman, 4 Dec 2013.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey guys.

Been away since the last CC and starting to get back into folding again after dropping in on the folding section. ATM i use a GPU client on my gtx460 and it does ok but then I noticed v7 and people talking about AMD folding. Wso whats changed? Ive and old hd4650 sitting doing nothing in another pc and a 6630 on my laptop. Will i be able to fold on them or is it a complete waste of time? Also from my limited understanding of v7,do i just set it up and it takes care of both CPU and GPU folding or is it just one?

Thanks in advance.

2. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

GPU Folding has taken off with core17 and the QRB. However you really need a 6** or 7** nVidia card or a 7*** AMD card.

Yes v7 will see both the CPU and GPU and use them both in the most efficient way.

3. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi. Welcome back. I'd certainly recommend V7 of the client as it makes everything quite easy. The guys on the team recommended that you set a "Beta" flag within the client to get most PPD. If you don't know how to do that, the instructions are in another post "Newbie folding questions" In terms of your other cards, I'd say set them up and see how many PPD you get from them, and how much electricity you use to get those points. It might or might not be worth it, but until you try you just don't know. Certainly modern GPU from either "Team" will produce lots of PPD. Maybe ask Santa for a new one this Christmas or wait for the New Years sales! Cheers. Pete :thumb:

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Cheers for the responses. Ill certainly set up and check it out. As you say no harm in trying. Wish i could ask for a new card but the money is going towards the house atm. If a card where to die however....lol