1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aquacomptuer D5 pump with USB- can it be connected to a fan controller for pump contr

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by hairyknacker, 31 Jul 2014.

1. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Hi- I've got a couple of Aquacomputer D5 USB pumps that are currently powered by molex and connected to an Aquaero 6XT by Aquabus to be able to monitor fans & pump speed.
    However, my AE6 is playing up, possibly broken and I have lying about a Lamptron Touch that I wondered if it would be possible to use it to control the pump speeds?
    Power would still be via Molex but would like the option while my AE6 is sorted out

Ta

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You could in theory control the pump speed with the Lamptron controller like you would a fan --the Lamptron handles 30W per channel and the pump only pulls 23W. However I'm not sure that the D5 pump takes well to control by PWM. Also its operating voltage is 8 to 24V so from 12V you can only regulate it down by 30% --not a terrific range.

The Lamptron of course will not talk to the USB or Aquabus.

3. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Just connect the USB header to the mobo and let Aquasuite control it.....

Also,the pump is 12v...the extra 12v does nothing worthwhile unless you have a D5 strong,this will top out at an equivalent speed 8 on a Vario at 12v

The D5 usually operates from just over 7v onwards.