1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Need a new router... suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phem0r, 14 Feb 2011.

1. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

OK so I used to own a D-Link 2640B which was the most reliable router I've owned until it died

So because I didn't want to be without the internet I went to the devil (pc world) and purchased a Cisco router. which turned out to be the worst router I have ever owned. It never seems to drop the actual internet connection but it always drop the network connection whether it's wired or wireless.

Now I've never really been that up-to date on router tech so was hoping people could make some suggestions based on either experiences you've had or just opinions.

I'm looking for a router that will be reliable and perform well... I play a lot of WoW and disconnecting half way through a raid boss because the router decided to loose its network is just driving me nuts :sigh:

Thanks!

2. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

Anyone?

3. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

What's the model of the router you are having problems with?

4. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

I have recently had to buy a new router as our old one would drop connection, or need to be restarted several times to even get a connection. I plumped for a TP-Link TD-W8950ND as they had good reviews and it was a very reasonable price.

Had it for just over a month and haven't had a single problem with my connection, it can have two laptops(connected via wireless), a desktop pc and a couple of smartphones connected all at the same time. Can't fault it at all :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-...1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1297721132&sr=8-1

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

It was Linksys???

I had nothing but problems with those Linksys products. I've never been happy with any router though.

I want traffic shaping. Is there a cheap router with traffic shaping that's any good?

6. sourdough

sourdough Minimodder

I have been using a DLink DIR-855 for a few months now, have 2 wired pcs, 1 wireless, 1 voip phone and a Buffalo 1Tb Linkstation connected using 2008 firmware. No problems so far.

7. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

Bought a NETGEAR WNR1000 RangeMax 150 Wireless Cable Router the other week and it has been really solid.

I download a lot of video as I do not watch TV any more. In my old age I am becoming quite cantankerous and hate the thought of some programmer deciding which shows to watch and when!

Getting great speeds via wireless

8. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

If you want proper traffic shaping you really need a computer to do it. Routers while quite powerful really don't have the power necessary for proper packet inspection and prioritization.

9. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

WNDR3700. Best router I've ever had.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://techinstyle.tv/blogs/asus-rt-n56u-dual-band-is-better-and-heres-why/

N56U will do it. I talked to the PM, he claimed it uses a CPU twice the spec of most of the industry. Shame they didn't advertise that fact :duh: