1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs My iPhone told me what to have for lunch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Xir

Xir Modder

I'm definetely too paranoid to broadcast my location onto the internet.

But the possibilities...
    ...break into your house while I know you're not there.
    ...date your girl while you're...ummm...dating mine? (if I use it too) :D
    ...collect your daily routine so I know when to rob you allone in a dark alley*

*leaves office every night at xxx am and turns up at xxx 5 mins later...probable walkway, backstab-alley!

Mischief gallore!

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I just reread my post.
    I dont Hate Alex Watson (hmmm, his picture shows a different name). With "You" in the post above, I meant evryone in general using a location broadcasting device.

5. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

Haha interesting blog entry.
    I have it on android, I think its more useful at university as lots of people go to the same few places that are nearby.

6. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

4 of us at work use it, we did get into it but then to be honest the novelty wears off!

Its got potential but at the moment, thats it.

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

By the time you get to the stage where you will go to a specific place for lunch so you can win at some app, rather than go somewhere with people who I assume you would class as friends, you lose. Sorry.

By all means use the thing to help you decide where to go, find a menu, find your mates. But going there to claim some arbitrary prize is silly.

8. Nature

Nature Minimodder

sumatran rat monkey

9. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

I've used it enough times to get the "30 checkins in a month" badge but with so few people using it there isn't much point to continue at the moment. They need to increase their user population and get that critical mass for this to be relatively interesting. I'm the mayor of 4 places and it's not like I'm even trying.

10. Sifter3000

You know, I don't even disagree - I was trying to poke fun at myself a bit with this post. What's interesting to me is that when you unleash game mechanics in non-game situations, they can be very powerful, even though the rational part of your brain "knows" it's silly.

11. quicklizard

quicklizard What's a Dremel?

I have also gone out of my way to get foursquare badges. Silly rewards can just as fun in the real world. A few years ago half the office were setting their alarms for crazy times like 3am just to log into Eve online and maximise their character's skill training time. I love the way that game mechanics can change 'real world' behaviour.

12. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

I prefer Chilango. Still not as nice as a proper SF mission burrito though.

13. Sifter3000

Well, yeah, if we're talking to Mexican food, the best I had was in Austin, TX. Torchy's Tacos Cheesecake.

14. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

Is this what humanity heading to that we're so incompetent/stupid that we need devices to tell us what to do?

15. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I gave this app a try and to be honest it is crap, I was at supermarket today and tried to check in but it says I was 845 metres from supermarket so no points :(

16. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

To be honest, sometimes it's fun to let something else make a decision. All through college I carried a set of DnD dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d%) and a coin (d2) due to us being cheap students and not owning iPhones. Great way to settle arguments in a group when you can't agree where to go.

17. fodder

fodder Minimodder

I think you can do the practical bit far more efficiently with Android. Try combining Latitude with Locale, that should do it. All automatic.

Tags: Add Tags