1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Gas and electric prices...

Discussion in 'General' started by matt_lumley, 15 Nov 2012.

1. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Hey guys,

Got a slightly different question to normal. Currently in my first year of uni and am looking at houses with my to be house mates. Most places don't include water, gas and electric so I was wondering...

A) how much is average for a household per year for those sort of bills? (So we can work out our total weekly rent)

And

B) where Is good to look / compare these bills etc.

Thanks guys and gals.

Matt

2. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Have a look at the money saving expert webpage.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

When I lived in Portsmouth, it was around £60pm (gas and leccy), split 3 ways, so £20 each. That was with 3 laptops, 3 PS3's, one xBox, my PC and 3 TV's etc.

4. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

I always set aside each month:

£15 gas
    £15 leccy
    £10 water

and always over-did it. I averaged it out over the year and it was like £12.50/month for gas, 13 for leccy and £7/month for water

that was living in brighton on a standard tarrif, per person.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

We play a 'flat rate' of £60pm for 5 of us fog gas and leccy (actually ever few months or so we get charged/reimbursed for how much we've gone over/under)

6. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Shop around...a lot spend at least a day calling, going online, emailing companies with their cheapest quotes and tarrifs. Eventually you'll get the cheapest price.

The price hike won't really effect you as much (hopefully) because you'll be spending most of your time studying from books :D

7. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

We're paying £27/month per person for water, electricity and gas. That's in a small terraced house shared between three people.

8. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I have a standing order set to roughly ~1.5x the average bill + rent into a seperate account which the bills and rent are pulled from.
    This means that the surplus slowly builds up over the year and when the bills start getting larger around winter it just starts pulling from the surplus. If there is any left after winter (usually is) it gets pulled out as a nice wee bonus and spent of fun stuff :)

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

We pay roughly £110 for gas and electric on a duel-fuel tariff, and a further £45-50 for water each month.
    (Approximately £54 per person each month)

10. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Cheers guys, really helpful info there, just looking to see roughly what rent + bills will be :)

Any other tips for moving from uni halls to our own house?

Regards
    Matt

11. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Sometimes you need to replace the bed/mattress because they are not comfortable. Don't stress about doing this as a good place to sleep is really important. You may need to get some of your own furniture and a combination of second hand and ikea will usually do the job (if you're lucky one of your folks will have an mpv/estate and you can get everything you need in one day without having to pay delivery costs). Setting up a joint account for bills is useful. Don't forget contents insurance (if the rooms aren't individually locked you may need a whole house policy). Have a rota for chores and be fair about it. Get a decent router as the ones shipped with the broad band packages often don't handle multiple wireless connections well if one or two of you are heavy users. Ikea is very cheap for cutlery, plates and glasses. Most of all, talk.; breakdowns in communication and unhelpful criticism are the number one cause of house mate friction.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2012