1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What PPD should I get with this setup?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by andyjh, 28 Apr 2011.

1. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Anyone able to suggest the PPD I could be getting with this setup, over what I should be

Not sure if I need to change my setup, the machine isn't built for folding. Just some parts I had left over, it's pretty much running 24/7 unless I do some online gaming.

4GB Corsair RAM 1600MHz
    AMD Athlon X4 640 (Quad Core 3.0ghz IIRC)
    Gainward GT240 Graphics Card (Stock Speeds)

WD Velociraptor 150gb (don't think HDD matters, but worth mentioning)
    Gigabyte MA770T UD3 M/B (if it's O/C friendly)
    Novatech / Powerstation 500w Modular PSU

Currently I'm running the GPU Client (non console), FAH-SMP Client (-smp 4) and a FAH CPU client.

According to FAHMon it's generating 1700 PPD although it sometimes goes to 3-4000 depending how fast I complete work units

2. cdb

cdb No comment

I was getting about 3.5K upwards on my gt240. Couldn't comment on your cpu though.

3. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Thanks, did you just run the GPU only client or did you run a mixture of them all?

I think partially my low PPD is down to running a mixture, I think if I ran SMP only I'd probably get a faster workrate.

Do you know what speeds your graphics cards were configured to ?

4. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Just use the SMP client and GPU client, do not try to run the uniprocessor CPU client as well.

As andyjh says, 3.5 - 4.0 K PPD is about right for the gt240.

Use the GPU 2 system tray client rather than the GPU 3 client.

I assume you have completed 10 SMP units and have obtained a passkey.

If not you will not get the SMP bonus which is conditional on the above and also how quickly the WU is returned.

I would have thought you should get approx. 4K PPD out of the processor under those conditions.

5. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Well I wouldn't say what PPD I get my self :D

I'll double check the clients I'm running, I'll have to look into the passkey because I don't have one yet :O

6. cdb

cdb No comment

I was running a bigadv, 4x8800gt and a gt240. I think the GT240 was pretty standard. The 8800gt cards all died slowly and electric has stopped everything else for now.

7. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

OK...

Well I'm going to be trying without the FAH Uniprocessor client after it finishes the next WU

I've now setup a passkey as I didn't know about that.

I've got a dell poweredge 2650 which I'll be able to run for folding but it's too noisy and I've got nowhere to put it atm :(

8. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Not sure if I can get any faster, I've changed the paths as accepted the default when first installed and it was getting confused.

Everything is now in c:\f@h and running console only clients. Currently 5100ppd. I'm going to look at overclocking the card & memory if I can to see if that helps speed things up. I'll build a 2600k rig for folding only at some stage. Just want to maximise what I have atm.