1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete [Complete] Mini ITX HTPC - Update May 16 - Final Photos

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 28 Feb 2012.

1. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

This is going to be a Mini ITX HTPC for my girlfriend. I'll be using plywood and veneer, as well as some solid curly maple.

Cutting the first piece. All the rest of the plywood pieces are done the same way, so I haven't included them here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the scrap that was left from cutting the top, bottom, and back, I had enough to make the two sides. It was too wide though, so I had to remove about half an inch of material. I decided to do it with my hand plane. It took some time, and made a lot of shavings...
    [​IMG]

Managed to hit my line though (top one, not bottom)
    [​IMG]

I also cut the front piece of curly maple, and this is a picture of it all clamped together. It's just a dry fit, nothing is being glued here yet.
    [​IMG]

I then started gluing up the bottom and sides
    [​IMG]

A few more "dry fits" after the sides have been glued on. Front and top are not glued. I also cut the vent holes in the top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the first vent frame pieces cut, and the back piece as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all I've got for now. I'll try to take more pictures going forward. Up until now most of it was just more of the same, so I wasn't as good at taking pictures as usual.

Thanks for looking :thumb:

Last edited: 16 May 2012
  2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I missed this completely. I love itx builds. Any progress?

3. Mosquito

Sadly I haven't had much progress as of lately :( I moved into an apartment in March, and my tools and this project (along with several others) are still at my parents' house, since I don't have a garage or space to work outside. I will be going there this weekend, and will likely be bringing some of my hand tools and this project back with me. I've set up a canvas tarp and folding table in my second [otherwise unused] bedroom to work on things like this :thumb:

Here's a slight non-pictorial update:

I did buy a slim 120mm fan, and the last time I was at my parents' I got some pieces cut to make a bracket to hold it under the vents in the top, if it's needed. I also glued the back panel to the motherboard tray together, and mounted some blocks for mounting the motherboard to. I don't have any pictures of it yet though.

I've been debating how I want to go forward with it now too. Originally (and currently) it's designed to be 2 pieces. The main box, and then the back panel and motherboard tray assembly slides into that. I'm starting to debate now if I want to try to make the top panel removable as well. The only real reason for this would be adding or removing the fan bracket pieces if I don't need/want the fan. Right now I have pieces made to slide the fan into, and then just a tab to hold it from sliding out the back.... I really need to take some pictures, or make a SketchUp of that I think. Another idea I was rolling around was maybe making a bracket to attach the fan to the motherboard tray assembly instead, so it slides out with the hardware, eliminating the need for a removable top. I suppose I could also go with no fan at all, or just another supplemental smaller fan...

Anyone have any thoughts and/or suggestions on it?

4. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

cant beat wood...

keep it up.

5. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Looking nice on the amount you've done, how many hours have you put in so far?

6. Mosquito

Thanks guys. So far I'd say I only have about 6-8 hours on it. I started it at a time I probably shouldn't have... should have been packing more for moving, but I would rather have done this :lol:

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Man, another one & looking good again :dremel::D & see the new avatar. :clap::D

8. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I would have the top panel removable too. Its an itx build, which by definition means "lack of space". You need to be able to access the internals from any angle possible.

9. Mosquito

Thanks Waynio :thumb: Not sure if you saw it in the IBM PC-AT thread, but I said he looks like he should be in a "hair metal" band :lol: Ok, I admit, not THAT funny, but hey, I'm tired :)

I might have to look into it, and see what it would take, at this point, to make it removable. Although parts access shouldn't be an issue, since the motherboard will be on a removable tray. The only thing that wouldn't be on the removable part would be the fan and the power switch.

That said, I don't think it'd be too hard to make the top removable though. Just makes the veneer require a little more effort :lol:

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

[​IMG]

:hehe:

11. Mosquito

Been a while, but I brought some of my tools home with me last time I was at the parents' house... I've made a little progress, so thought I'd update:

I have cut all the pieces for the vent frames in the top of it. They're not glued in yet, but friction fit at the moment:
    [​IMG]

I've glued the top on to the rest of the case, as well as gluing in the top cross braces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a mock-up fan holder out of maple. I doubt I'll leave it maple, as I will almost certainly switch it out for an aluminum one, but for now, it works (and for temperature testing)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted the pico-psu power port in the I/O shield:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now, as always, thanks for checking it out :thumb:

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Looking good, really like this! :thumb:

13. Mosquito

Thanks KidMod :)

14. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Good compact finish there mate!

15. Mosquito

Thanks Noob :) (no matter how many times I told myself "that's their forum name" I couldn't help but find it difficult to actually type :lol:)

A slight update, I worked from home this morning so I could get the package I was waiting for that contained the Veneer for this project :D Hoping to get it mostly wrapped up (ha, that's a pun) this weekend if I can. If nothing else, just have it ready for top coating later.

16. Mosquito

Update 15th, May 2012 - Veneer, Stain, Vent Frames

This past weekend I was able to veneer and stain the case as well as complete making and gluing in the vent frames...

[​IMG]

Flattening out the Veneer... It's African Mahogany. I finally unpacked my Computer Science textbooks after a year and a half...

[​IMG]
    I got the veneer on and trimmed up. I taped off the front after this, since I wasn't gluing the curly maple on until after I stained the veneer. I also painted the edges black before I applied the veneer, in case any edges ended up showing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got it stained after getting the Veneer on it. The color is "Cabernet". I just applied it as a wipe on stain so it's not quite as dark.
    [​IMG]

Here's two of the vent frame pieces glued up and fitted inside the vent holes. I don't have a picture of all 3 before finish.

[​IMG]

I have taken pictures of the final product after applying 3 coats of finish this weekend. I will hopefully get those up tonight sometime.

Thanks for checking it out :thumb:

17. Foregasm

Foregasm What's a Dremel?

ees so pwetty.

18. mally91

mally91 What's a Dremel?

looking good

19. Mosquito

Final Photos

Thanks guys

---

So, some of the final shots. I might try to get some better pictures, as the lighting is less than ideal in these, but for now, they'll do.

I dyed and sanded the curly maple to "pop the grain". Brings out the figure a little better that way. Here's a comparison from non-popped to popped....

[​IMG]

And with that, here are the final shots, for now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone who checked it out and commented :thumb:

Waynio likes this.
  20. Asouter

Asouter --------

:thumb: Looks great,

Just a lil question, how big is the fan ? I'm just trying to get some idea of how small the build is. I'm struggling with perspective as I'm looking at doing an itx build myself..