1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory HyperX predator 2400 wont run??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackwatch, 18 Apr 2015.

1. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

I have just bought a Hyper X predator 2400MHz 8GB kit. When i put it in my Asus P8Z77-V pro it booted but at 1600mhz??

SO I went back into the BIOS and selected X.M.P profile 1 - 2400MHz, 11-13-14, 1.65V i saved and rebooted only for the machine to hang and the MEMOK light to come on. After resetting the machine boots but back at the default speed of 1600MHz.

So I went back in and selected X.M.P profile 2 - 2133MHz, 11-13-13, 1.6V and once again it wouldnt boot till I hit MEMOK

I have manually tried to set the ram by changing from XMP to Manual and then setting the ram to both 2133 and 2400 with the timmings etc but it will not boot.

I have also checked and I have the latest BIOS

Does someone have any ideas as to where I am going wrong please?:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Try the sticks individually. One could be faulty.

3. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

Ive tried that and neither one will run at 2133 or 2400

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Could it be down to Kingston not being on the QVL for memory of that speed? They're there for 1600 but not for 2133 and 2400.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

What are the timings? You may have to manually change them. All the Asus mobos I've had have been crap at allocating the correct timings.

6. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

this is strange as the kit is labeled as HX324C11T2K2/8 but in the BIOS it is reporting as different

[​IMG]

this is the data sheet for the RAM direct from kingston and also on thier website they say the are compatible with the Z77 chipset.

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX324C11T2K2_8.pdf

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yeah they're compatible but ASUS haven't tested them with their board so whilst unlikely it may be down to an incompatibility.

8. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

What CPU are you using? Intel & my asus z77sabertooth manual recommends 1.5v memory, as I see yours is 1.65v.

9. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

That's very unlikely to be the issue - whilst i know that's what's advised, both of my Z77 Asus boards are using 1.65V memory without any problem.

So 16GB of 2133 with a 2600K on the same board as the OP & 32GB of 2400 with a 3770K on a Premium (a model or two up)... ...though i'm using g.skill stuff.

Yeah, the issue (claimed by intel) was that the memory controller on (particularly) ivy chips 'could' deteriorate with >1.5V memory, *not* that it wouldn't work - but i've never heard of any reports of ivy chips failing en masse, & 1.65V stuff was all that was available going back in faster kits so it's not as though i would have been unique & have been lucky.

Let me think...

Well, early on, & i can't recall if it was with a P8P67 Deluxe (that died) or my Premium, the method was to 1. reset the bios // 2. put 1 stick into the first slot (nearest the CPU), MemOK if you can't get into the bios initially & then set that to the correct speed // 3. Reboot to check it works & then add the rest - so your 2nd stick is the 3rd from the CPU (i'm using quad kits)... ...though that became a non-issue for me with bios updates.

You could also try, as suggested, resetting the bios & manually entering the timings & voltage.

You could try increasing & decreasing the voltage (*slightly* & *briefly* if increasing) - as, if it will boot happily at, say, 1.7V (which i'd set as an absolute testing max) the kit's not running to spec.

You could obviously return the kit to the retailer & buy an alt - i'm quite happy with my g.skill kits, but other people are happy with others.

Ummmm...

Oh, & you could also just accept it running at 1600 as, unless you're doing some very specific tasks, increasing memory speed above that has a negligible effect with sandy & ivy.

(see the discussion *here* &/or the scaling tests that both Harlequin & myself linked to demonstrate different things *here* - which apply to both sandy & ivy)

10. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

I will be sticking it into an Asus Z97-A board in around 2 weeks but i just wanted it to work at the correct speed in this one. However I am beginning to think that this board is dying as my overclock wont stay on. I have a few saved profiles on the board and they dont stick. ie I boot into the BIOS and load profile 1 ...4.5GHz ( 100 Blck 45 multipier 1.225v ) in the bios is shows as set etc but as soon as I boot into windows and check with CPU-z im running at 3.8Ghz??? Also I am loosing the setting under system config for the iGPU...once i load the OC profile it is there but as soon as I reboot it is gone??

I have tried to clear the Cmos on the jumper, even power off, remove cable, move jumer, remove battery,wait 1 min , add batter, move jumper power on seems to have no effect....I will try the steps above if it still wont work I will have to wait till i get the new CPU and then try the ram in the new board.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What CPU are you using? It WILL affect your RAM.

If it is a Sandy Bridge CPU, your max will only be about 2200MHz if you're very lucky.

12. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

Im using an i5-3570K Ivy Bridge

13. TheMadDutchDude

It may need a little memory controller voltage then. It should be fine with 2400MHz RAM after a bit of tweaking.

14. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

i remember having the same issue with the o/c...

it's a long time ago now (& i wrote down all the settings to speed things up for redoing after bios updates & whatnot), but from recollection, i had to set the CPU multiplier in the Advanced -> CPU Power Management Config --> CPU Ratio... ...not just in the Ai Tweaker bit.

That said, if you're losing other settings then it 'could' be the battery.

15. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

its not loosing them they just arnt there which is the strange thing.... ill do a reboot and take photos lol to show what i mean brb

16. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Oh, & i stuck 2 of my 2400 sticks in with my 2600K on my identical (to the OP's) board for about a week going back (one of my 2133 sticks failed - & had to wait for g.skill to replace the entire kit) & it just worked.

17. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

Here is the GPU part I mentioned

This shows when i load my original never let me down rock solid 4.5GHz OC ( x45 multiplier 1.225v 100 BCLK )

[​IMG]

However as soon as I save, reboot and go back into the bios A) the OC is not set B) options have vanished??

[​IMG]

Now it is getting stranger, when i go to manually set the ratio from x34 to x42 for the over clock every time I type 42 and hit enter/return the board immediatley resets it back to 34 in the window I have just typed it to

18. TheMadDutchDude

Reset your BIOS to factory defaults and start fresh.

19. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

I have tried that.

Tried load factory defaults in bios no joy
    Tried resetting CMOS with jumper no joy
    Tried resetting CMOS with jumper AND removing battery no joy
    Tried resetting CMOS with Jumper AND replacing battery no joy.

20. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Based on what you're saying/have tested, the only other possibility i can think of is that there's something fundamentally wrong with the settings you're trying to use...

(maybe the CPU's deteriorated a bit & can't hit the clock speed at that voltage anymore or something?)

...& the board's finding that it can't boot with the settings & so is reverting to defaults.

However, my recollection is that you'd get a message up about the o/c having failed or some such when it gets to the main black & white bios bit (having popped up any disk controller stuff & whatnot).