1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How to lock IE11 to one web site

Discussion in 'Software' started by neocleous, 24 Jul 2015.

1. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Hi guys

I'm trying to lock a Windows 8.1 RT tablet down to one website but I'm struggling.

Does any one have any idea how to do this?

Thanks

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

4. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

It's going in a takeaway to show incoming orders so I don't want the staff checking Facebook when I'm not there.

I've enabled the content advisor and tried a proxy too the problem with both is that the browser tries and then eventually fails which makes using the site very slow to use.

I want to just straight block everything RT doesn't seem to have a firewall built in like other versions of Windows otherwise I would block everything with the firewall.

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Depending on what your site uses for incoming orders, you could maybe statically assign the IP details for the device and make sure no DNS is entered. Then in the HOSTS file create an entry which points the website you want to use to its IP.

If they try to go anywhere else it'll just fail as there no DNS but should still access your website you want access to

or this might work (https://security.berkeley.edu/conte...site-whitelisting-microsoft-internet-explorer) then lock down the proxy configuration with local group policy? I've no experience with Windows 8.1 RT specifically so I'm not 100% on how much 'normal' Win8.1 Group policy is available in there

Last edited: 25 Jul 2015
  6. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

It's just a website that updates with new orders and makes a sound to draw attention.

I don't need to make IT professional proof it's just to stop people casually using the tablet for anything else.

I look into the white list proxy config

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

The easiest way to do this will be to make a bogus proxy under lan settings in the internet options, then put the allowed site in the exception list. Of course, if they know where to look it will be quite trivial to bypass it.
    If you wanted to do it right, I would suggest setting this blocking up at the gateway. Perhaps look into what options you have if any on whatever you are running, there may be something there. Otherwise, perhaps setting up something like a cheap cobbled together machine and install untangle on it would be a way to go.

8. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I've set up a 'Kiosk' account on the tablet with access control so the only app that will launch is IE you can't even get the start menu up. If you could lock out the address bar it would be perfect but that isn't an option on the app.

I'm using a MiFi device from EE to get online which is coming on Monday so until that comes I don't know what the set up options are.

9. krishan

krishan Minimodder

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

11. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

That works almost perfect but you can still press the start button and get to other programs including opening another instance of internet explorer.

Is there a kiosk mode for the metro app? If there is that will solve all of my problems.

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

As IvanIvanovich has already mentioned, you can set up a non-existent proxy and put the site you want to access in the proxy exceptions list.

13. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I've done that, works well for stopping other sites being loaded but the kiosk mode is a better solution as there is no address bar.

If Kiosk mode works on the metro app I will have a perfect solution because with the assigned access absolutely nothing else can be loaded

14. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

15. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I solved my problem by writing a Power Shell script and a batch file to launch it at start up.

The tablet boots up auto signs in, the batch file calls the script which kills explorer and launches Internet Explorer in kiosk mode.

By killing explorer the start menu is disabled and none of the Windows gestures work so there is no way to start any other programs.

Pretty much a perfect kiosk locked to one domain, thanks for the input guys.