1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Completely new install of W10?

Discussion in 'Software' started by neil_b, 3 Sep 2015.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

I have the situation where the PC in question has unstable version of W7 Ent n running on it - and whilst I had been looking at re-installing W7, it would seem a good time to install a sparkly new copy of W10....

I have a larger SSD in the draw waiting to be used, and would like to put the current SSD running W7 into a smaller machine at some point in the future, and therefore I envisage installing the new larger SSD into the current PC, and then doing a straight completely new clean install of W10 (without dicing with an upgrade of a current unstable W7 install).

Is it possible to use a legit copy of W10 DVD bought from Scan (on DVD is my preference) and install the new larger SSD (and simply remove the current smaller W7 SSD) then CLEAN install W10 onto the pristine new SSD?

Everywhere I read, it ALWAYS seems to talk about the need to do an upgrade from 7 or 8, but I would have thought I could just do a clean NEW install, without getting sucked into upgrading what is an unstable W7 environment? Surely its possible to do this, and assuming it is, can anyone point me at an installation guide for a CLEAN install?

Thanks guys.

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

You only need to upgrade from 7 if you're wanting to convert your Win 7 licence to a Win 10 licence for free.

You've bought a copy of Win 10 (from scan), so you just install that as you would any other windows version. Stick the DVD in and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Take the old SSD out and stick the new on if before you start. Old one just then requires wiping and is ready to be used elsewhere.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

No need to spend any money. Run the upgrade, to get your hardware registered on the W10 activation service, create a W10 dvd yourself and then run a clean W10 install. Or, do a clean W7 install and run the upgrade on that. The latter has worked well for me.

4. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Sadly, W7 Ent n doesn't get the free upgrade - but for once I don't begrudge paying for an OS...

I sort of thought it would be a case of just sticking the disk in, but haven't seen a word about it anywhere.

Thanks!

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

So basically, you are using an enterprise version of Windows which you can't upgrade. So you want to remove the SSD with Windows Enterprise and replace it with a blank SSD. On the blank SSD you want to install Windows 10 which you intend tobuy.

Yes, that is all fine.