1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Watercooled CM Cosmos II Build (Pics on Page 3)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zurechial, 5 Apr 2012.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

====
    Update:
    ====
    - Bought the Cosmos II
    - Installed the WC loop

Pics on Page 3

====
    Original Post:
    ====

I'm looking to replace my CM Stacker 830 with a sturdier case more suited to watercooling sometime soon but I have some specific requirements (and fussy tastes) so I was hoping for some advice on a case to get.

I currently have a 360 rad mounted in the floor of my case and a 240 rad taking up the 5.25" bays, leaving me scant room for hard drives or optical drives. In addition, the side panels and front of the case are almost completely mesh, which looks good but lets a fair amount of noise escape and can be a bit rattley when hard drive or pump vibrations pass through.

Requirements:
    + Space to mount at least two 240(120.2) Rads internally or a 360 + 120. I can't stand externally-mounted rads, I think it looks horrible and I'd be paranoid about knocking them loose or damaging the exposed tubing somehow.
    + Doesn't look like a fridge or some assymetrical modern art monstrosity (i.e; Isn't an Antec P18x or an NZXT 'Anything' ). My taste in cases leans towards the slightly gamer-ish stuff (Stacker, Raven, Cosmos, etc.) rather than either the cleaner, understated stuff from the likes of Lian Li or the over-the-top 'Gamer' stuff from Thermaltake, NZXT, etc.
    + Minimal mesh windowing (preferably perspex windows if any) to prevent excessive noise escaping the case.
    + Standard ATX layout since the layout of my room/desk necessitates that the machine sits on my right.

Right now I'm looking at the CM Cosmos II and in every regard it seems to fit the bill perfectly. I love its aesthetics, I like the fact that I can fit multiple radiators internally, I like the fact that it has those heavy, acoustically-dampened side panel doors.
    I don't like its price though. £300+ for a case is a painful proposition..

Can anyone recommend any other cases to suit my awkward tastes that I have missed by googling and shop-browsing?

The notion of just doing a scratch-build to suit my awkwardness naturally entered my head, but I just don't have time for that currently between work and doing a PhD. I'm already doing custom case designs as part of the PhD, in fact; but that's another matter. ;)

Last edited: 25 Apr 2012
  2. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

i dont think i could talk you out of it. its a very nice case and if you need the size then it sure has plenty of it.

i think ttl would agree too

Zurechial likes this.
  3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

There is nothing else. Your style and no NZXT preference rules all the competition out.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Your only other options really are an Elysium, a TH07 or a TJ11 really. The Elysium is great, but of lesser quality (but half the price), TJ07 is a classic but the style is getting alittle dated and the TJ11 is amazing but very expensive! Those three plus the Cosmos 2 are the 4 top cases for watercooling in my opinion :)

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I refuse! Buy one. Now. Do it noa biaaaatch!

:hehe::p

---

Ultimately money is irrelevant IF you can afford the price. If you can, if the tag is no sweat, don't get hung up on it. Do it. F**k it. You are helping a company to produce things you like, by buying what you like.

Course if the price tag is a bit of a stretch...disregard the above and find something closer to your price bracket.

6. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Xigmatek Elysium is the closest to fulfilling your demands for a much more reasonable price. IMHO the BitFenix Shinobi XL is also pretty amazing, but I think it won't go with your dislike of simple/minimalist design.

With your list it is only really the Cosmos2 and the Elysium.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Oh, I hadn't seen the TJ11 before. I'm a big fan of Silverstone solely on the sheer quality of their cases, and it's definitely a nice-looking case objectively, but I'm not keen on curves (why I never bought into the TJ7 back in the day) and the inverted motherboard mounting rules it out anyway. :(
    The Elysium could be an option. I'm not keen on the style/shape nor on the meshed side panel, but I'll keep it on the shortlist at least.

I just found the Cosmos II about 60 euro cheaper on an Irish site. Damn it, I'm finding it harder and harder to convince myself that it's a bad idea.
    It's all too easy to remind oneself that a good chassis is more of an 'investment' than most other pieces of hardware. :hehe:

I can sort-of afford it, but the justification is the hard part. There are other things I should save for. :p

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Get a Caselabs Magnum STH10! :D
    The only downside is you'll have no idea what to do with all that space... well that and maybe the price.
    http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-sth10/

It's a little plain looking on the front & top though, unless you mod it.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

You only live once, and you'll likely get years out of a good case. I say go for it.

I'm sorry but I have failed in talking you around :hehe:

10. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

The TJ11 is an AMAZING case, even for the money you pay for it, I should know :D

only problem for you would be although you could kinda squeeze a 240 and a 360 rad in, depending on your pump and res setup, after trying a combination a bit like that, I found it more a pain in the arse, especially trying to route all the cables, :wallbash: so ended up going for a 560 rad in the bottom, and will put my 360 rad back in the front when I go back to a more ridiculous setup :)

Also one thing I will say about the Cosmos II, although you'll probably already know it if you watched TTL's review, you won't be able to fit anything more than a 50mm thick rad with 1 set of fans in the roof of the Cosmos.

Also another bad point for the Cosmos (in my opinion anyway) a £330 case and no window? :jawdrop: and it would be quite difficult to cut one.

Also the TJ11 is ALL Aluminium and because of that means you can completely unscrew the entire case :D

Last edited: 6 Apr 2012
  11. Fizzban

You can afford it in other words. You just want to clarify from others if it is worth it. The only one who can accurately ascribe worth to yourself, is yourself. No need to justify it. It either does what you want and loves it (reviews suggest it does), or it doesn't. Justifying it, is getting hung up on it (what did I say about this?). Don't do it.

Oh and you are finding it hard to convince yourself that it is a bad idea? Listen to yourself old boy. DO IT! You want it. I want it for you. We want it for you! Buuuuuy It.

Short and skinny? You want it? Yes. It calls to you. Whispers sweet nothings to you..buy.it.

You won't regret it.

In the words of Capitalist Yoda, " Buy, or Buy not. There is no procrastinate".

I'm not helping am I. You wanted to be talked out of something you clearly want and will love...urgh I'm such a C***.

12. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Not my style, sorry; even if the price wasn't ludicrous! :p

That's the thing.. It's true that I'll get years out of it if it's a decent case. So you're doing a terrible job! :hehe:

I've been using a Stacker 830 without optical drives and with the hard drives mounted vertically with cable ties and foam padding for over a year now so I'm used to awkward layouts - I relish the challenges inherent in cable/tubing routing! :p

Yeah, it's a shame not to have a window. To some people they're gimmicky but I like being able to look inside. I suspect cutting a hole for a window in the Cosmos 2's side panel would be a nightmare.

You're probably right and no you're not helping at all. :hehe: But it's alright, your way of looking at it made me laugh.

The thing is that I'm currently without a functioning secondary monitor (my 22" LG secondary AND my 19" Dell backup secondary both died. :rolleyes:), had planned to grab an SSD and buying the Cosmos 2 will probably entail buying the following stuff in addition:

+ 1 or 2 new 1.120 rads depending on what loop layout I go with
    + Fresh tubing
    + A new pump & res. I had actually planned to do this anyway though; as I've been running the same DDC 18w pump for years now and I'm always afraid that it's going to burn out on me eventually. If I change to a case with enough drive-cage room, I'll get a pump/bay-res combo.

Fizzban likes this.
  13. Fizzban

That's fine. The kids don't need to eat EVERY day do they?

14. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

My gaming/work machine is the closest thing I have to a dependent. ;)

15. Fizzban

ah! Man after my own heart! hahahaha

zzz I should probably go to sleep, nearly 3am.

16. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Why should I talk you out of it? If you have money to burn and a need for the size and a love of the style, go for it!

17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

You people are USELESS! :hehe:

Cheers for the suggestions guys. :) I'm going to keep an eye out for other cases that might fit the bill anyway, but it's looking as though I might just order the Cosmos 2. Just going to do some more research about rad mounting options in it before I make up my mind.

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

:\ Damn you... now I'm considering grabbing the Cosmos 2 as well!
    Why did you make me have to look at it? :)

It'll probably end up in storage for a few months though as I'd want to make a new Ivy build for it.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Just be carefull about what rad's you want to fit inside the case.

You cannot fit a 60mm thick rad in the roof if you want to fit a motherboard in it, I have the Cosmos 2 and that is the thing that has annoyed me about it.

Take a look at the link in my sig and you will see what I mean, but it is a very good case but if they sorted out that small issue of not leaving enough room at the top then I would say it's the best out there, without going for the Little Devil cases and the Caselab's ones as well.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile