1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Old lens advice

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by C-Sniper, 11 Jan 2013.

1. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

So with my recent D7000 acquisition along with the replacement of my kit 18-55 with a 35mm f/1.8 prime. I have started to look into another zoom lens in the telephoto range.

I currently have a Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 (Model A005N) that I use for outdoor sports. But ever since I started doing more nature and wildlife photography during the off seasons I am looking for some slightly faster glass that is manual focus. I am choosing MF because, as I learned with the 35mm prime, the more work you have to do to make the shot, the more you think about it, and the better you can make it.

Currently I have narrowed down my choices to:

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/2.8-4 (Komine made, not the Cosina garbage)
    Nikkor 70-210 f/4.5 Ai-n
    Nikkor 80-200 f/4 Ai-s

Can anyone recommend any of these lenses or another one that I might have missed? My budget is approximately $200 USD but I can stretch it another 100 if there is good reason.

Thanks!

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I dont know anything about the lenses you have listed, but i wanted to say that for wildlife you might need more reach than those lenses offer?

Unless you already have you subject in mind and know you can reach them with 200mm of course :)

3. C-Sniper

By wildlife I mostly mean what I see walking around the woods and the parks near where I live. Lately wildlife has been finding me more than I have been finding it lol

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Thats fair enough then!! Im only really into canon af stuff so cant comment on much. Good luck though i hope you get some good glass :)

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'd be careful with manual focus on modern cameras. Old dedicated mf cameras had clever systems in the viewfinder and usually linear movements on the focus adjustment.

My OM10 has one of the brightest viewfinders I've ever used but its still a bear to focus and it has split prisms and a huge section of the barrel to adjust focus. My medium format rangefinder is barely usable in less than full sun!

Auto focus is one of the few modern conveniences I really miss when I use older cameras the shots you miss because you were a bit slow, I don't think its worth it. Unless you like using older gear that pre-dates af.

6. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 13 Jan 2013
  7. C-Sniper

Ok I will take a look at that lens! Thanks for the reccomendation.

I have the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (Nikon 70-300mm equivalent) and while I like the lens, I noticed that it can be quite soft at 300mm. I am not sure if I have knocked it by accident but from what I am reading, the older zooms are a lot sharper at full zoom.

8. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

ok, I can't comment on the quality of tamron lenses as I have never used them.

much as I loathed the opinionated SOB, Ken Rockwell has some excellent reviews and comparisons, especially useful when buying manual glass. He might have a comparison of your tamron lens.

One caveat with old glass, buyer beware... check for scratches, and use a torch to check for fungus and grease spots.

9. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I have a Vivitar Series 1 200mm F3 which is a great lens. I've got it on a Canon 600D at the moment. I'd recommend the prime ones since it'll be sharper and you'll learn to 'zoom with your feet' as they say. I've also got a 2x teleconverter which turns it into a 400mm F6 which is pretty funky so long as there is enough light.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

I've gotten a Nikon 200mm zoom lens for christmas and haven't even taken it out to play yet. :grr:
    Drove me (and the wife) nuts that we coeldn't get a decent picture of a sealion just 10meters away from us with the kit lens (wich is quite nice otherwise)

A lot of people have a pet peeve with him, but at least his lens reviews are understandable to an amateur.
    (and if you go with Nikon anyway he's a good laugh to read) :D