1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Surround Sound Speakers and Back of computer jacks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mushi_999, 16 Mar 2008.

1. mushi_999

mushi_999 Minimodder

This has been bugging me for 2 years now but i never really thought of asking on forums. Everyone i know who owns these speakers only uses the subwoffer and 2 speakers because they dont know how to hook them up. I figured you need a sound card to use them all.

What exactly do you need in order to hook all 6 speakers up

These are the speakers
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10081250&catid=23833&logon=&langid=EN&MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B2059EC88D75C732E84ACFAD810303B1E435044B81D8BB6C3C527C073EF3961A6E65746338543CD1D41F9D87AF55E36645A6BECB9404BFFAC2A20FCD70AEF0AE83F42A2E0E29F0FCEAC72AB6CB997E98BF8F304A9FBCFABCAF10931509CC93993527402843B4CC19FF4A4FC5059B844F6A#

[​IMG]

And this is what the back of my computer has. Am able to hook them up?
    ANd what exactly are the other colors for?
    [​IMG]

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

The integrated sound card would have the appropriate connectors surround speakers

the audio connectors are for:
    Green - Front Out
    Pink - Mic In
    Blue - Line In
    Gray - Side Out (not needed for 5.1)
    Black - Rear Out
    Orange - Center/Sub Out

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

a cheap card like the soundblaster audigy has all the plugs you need. i have the same speakers and an audigy card. Good speakers, but I think that I would rather have an expensive 3.1, or even just a 2.1 setup over these. I dont notice the far right and left speakers when I play games. or music. they do have the "matrix mode" where the channels just get split or however its done but I discovered that in some games, like supreme commander, it actually takes away some sounds.
    anyway, yeah, cheap soundcard like an audigy which i think you can get for about 30 CDN will do the trick if your onboard sound doesn't have all the plugs you need.

4. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I had those speakers, it should take up the black, green and yellow plugs, set your onboard sound to 5.1, or if you only have a stereo setup hooked up, use the "surround" button on it.l The plugs on the back are colour coded so it should be straight forward. You've got everything you need to use those in surround with you. So you should be able to get it to work. When I bought those, it came with a 3 plug 1/8 in plug, with green, yellow and black on both ends, and it was male on both ends.

5. mushi_999

mushi_999 Minimodder

I am thinking of getting those speakers, because right now i am using my reciever. But i don't know how to hook it up to Surround Sound

Right now the way i have it is im using a y-cord and it hooks up to the back of my computer into the green jack and the other side hooks up to the left red and white jacks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is there any way of hooking up my surround sound reciever to surround sound computer?
    I noticed that there is a green blue red jacks at the back of my reciever

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The red blue and green plugs are not for sound ON YOUR RECEIVER.. these are videos output (it says "Component Out").
    The Component system is similar then the usual yellow plug, but each primary colors are somewhat separated, so it give you a better image output, however these configuration (in terms of image quality is under DVI and HDMI and Display Port)

I see there is no "Component In" nor a "Video In" (the yellow plug), I am guessing your receiver can also play DVD's, correct?

7. mushi_999

mushi_999 Minimodder

ah you're right. I found a picture of the back. Yea its a 5 disc dvd, But i usually use it as my computer speakers.
    [​IMG]

8. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

To connect a computer to that surround sound system with 5.1 working, you need a digital optical connector on the computer. Your motherboard might have a breakout card for this, but I don't think many do. You could get something like this, but then you're starting to spend a lot of money. There aren't too many sound cards out there with an optical (SPDIF) connector on them, and those that do have it aren't cheap.

Basically your surround sound system only has a digital input for a 5.1 input. Your computer, to the best of my knowledge, only has analog outputs for a 5.1 output. You will need to either buy a soundcard with digital outputs, or a new surround sound system with analog inputs.

9. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

To output the PC surround over a home theater system, you need to have one of 3 things; discrete analog surround input on the receiver, coaxial SP/DIF Digital connectors on the PC and receiver, or optical SP/DIF Digital connectors on the PC and receiver. Newer receivers will have optical and/or coaxial SP/DIF inputs and generally analog surround input as well; Most PCs with integrated analog surround will also have integrated coaxial SP/DIF and sometimes even the optical SP/DIF