1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows User files on different drives.

Discussion in 'Software' started by bluespider42, 15 Nov 2010.

1. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Since buying a SSD I have two hard drives in my system for the first time and wondered what most people did with their user files. I have moved the documents, music video folders etc so now they are in D:\users\my name\ and finally managed to do the same with the public documents but the appdata folder is still on the C:\ which is quite large should I move that too or would that cause problems, also if I were to get another HDD would it be worth setting a dedicated drive to be the 'Users' folder or something?
    Using Win 7 x64
    128GB C300
    1TB F3

Thanks

2. No_Na_Me

No_Na_Me PC & water, this can only end well

Hi Always do that. I have SPV (Sound/Pictures/Video) on a HDD that way I can clean my OS regularly and not worry.

Not moved the APPData so would like to hear what other have to say about that.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

4. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

Maybe also look into working with libraries more (although it might not make sense in your case as you have only one drive you want to redirect to). I have three drives and have folders on them which e.g. have videos. I add each locations path under the library but if i open up my videos folder it will display all three path's content scatterd on the different drives. Works great and you can create your on folder libraries as well.
    As for the appdata - I am running a old Raptor 74GB and all i did is redirect my user folders and never bothered moving the appdata folder.

5. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Thanks for you replies - how much is the appdata folder used in everyday situations, ie. would moving it onto a slower drive make much difference in terms of performance?