1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Win7 + HDD Problems >_< HELP

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ikera, 23 Feb 2011.

?

HDD Brands

1. Western Digital

54.5%
  2. Seagate

18.2%
  3. Samsung

54.5%
  4. Hitachi

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ikera

Ikera What's a Dremel?

I got refurbished 1TB HDD (wd10ealx) installed Windows 7 64 Ultimate and often it would shut down when I read or write or even coming out of sleep mode. I was able to pin point the problem to the Drive after I placed it into an external drive case and plug in to a different PC.

This drive is able to crash a system from a usb plug >_< anyways I accepted the fact and moved on

I got 2TB HDD Seagate in external case, plugged it in using usb and started copying... about 800GBs of files, got through about 25% before running into problems...
    Win 7 got stuck copying files, I aborted it tried restart coping where it got stuck and the system crashed just like before, and same thing happening crashing when I read or write.

What are the odds of getting 2 drives bad HDD, one of them is refurbished they should have fixed any kind of problems the could have occurred. And I have 5years old WD 10000RPM Raptor inside the PC case running Win 7 now and works just fine.

Why is Win 7 crashing when it's just trying to access and external storage device, is there a way to stop this. Is there any hope for the drives? Any suggestions on what drive should I get next 2TB and Reliable, transfer speed, cache size, ext... are not important

2. Tuned#F_A_F

Tuned#F_A_F What's a Dremel?

Never had a 2TB HDD, but I've always uses WD drives for the past 9 years. Reliable and quiet :)

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

you might disable the usb ports sleep feature under device management. also you might try using robocopy when transferring that much data, as it tends not to fail as easily the windows explorer does. have you tested the disk itself with seatools or similar? it could just be that the enclosure has gone bad. i find that to be the case more often than a bad disk in external drives. you should look at ones with esata so much faster and reliable than usb.

Tags: