1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II OC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 3 Mar 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Kodongo

Kodongo What's a Dremel?

Nice review. This seems like a great card for great value for anyone who lives outside of the US and Canada! (Sorry North Americans).

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Would it fit in a Corsair 250D?

I thought I saw somewhere that the heat pipes on these CU models make them too high...although the ones on this don't seem to protrude as much as some others I've seen , maybe they've had a design revision???

4. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

which other modified cards whould have the extra power components on them. The cooler doesn't matter to me as I intend to watercool, I just want the best components for overclocking

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Bought one of these for my little brother's build a few days ago. It also happened to be the cheapest 290 I could find at the time, which made it even more wonderful.

6. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

It looks like there's enough room from the pics I've seen but I don't have the 250D in the labs anymore so I can't say for sure, sorry.

It varies from board partner to board partner. Most partners have a pure reference version, which won't be modified. Then some of the custom cooled ones will use the standard power components, while some (like Asus here) will use their own modified ones. And naturally each one that uses their own will tell you their components are better than the rest. As for the Asus range, both DirectCU II R9 290 versions (the OC and the non-OC one) use the customised power circuitry. Custom PCBs may mean that standard waterblocks won't fit, however, so bear that in mind as well!

7. Dogbert666

Antony has measured the distance between the top of the PCI bracket mount and the roof and says it's at least 45mm. And by my own measurements the Asus card extends about 40mm past the edge of the PCI bracket at the tallest point on the heat pipe, so I think you're just in the clear.

Also, going by the specs on the Asus website, this card is 1.5 inches taller than the reference card (which doesn't extend past the PCI bracket edge at all) and 1.5 inches = 38.1mm

Hope that helps!

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is it just my poor eyes, or are only three of heatpipes making contact with the core ?

9. Dogbert666

Nope, you're right. Derp, sorry, fixed now! Thanks for pointing it out.

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Thanks for that....I'm a bit paranoid about being 100% certain that parts will fit before buying.

Nothing gives you that sinking feeling quite like unboxing a new piece of hardware only to realise it doesn't fit and your now in 'Returns policy' hell for the next 2-3wks.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry i didn't mean that to come across as information lacking from the review, it was just me vocalising a wonderment of how much better it would perform if they all made contact, or would it not make a noticeable difference.

12. Dogbert666

No worries - I'm just surprised I missed it since I took the thing apart and took photos too! It is strange that they don't all make contact, I guess they found it was better to use thicker heat pipes where only three make contact rather than five thinner ones.

Tags: Add Tags