1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films 3D movies, What you've watched, Want to watch, reccomend etc.

Discussion in 'General' started by GregTheRotter, 24 Jul 2013.

1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

So I just got myself a 55" LG 3D tele, and have been watching some 3D movies this afternoon. I watched 'Finding Nemo' which I thought looked great, saw a few minutes of Transformers, as well as IMAX under the sea. All in all, I thought those three looked great. So I figured hey, why not try out Avatar 3D.

Strangely enough, I felt that my eyes got a lot more strained during avatar, and that there wasn't much of a 3D effect except in the obvious parts (stuff flying to you, and the plant scenes). I mean, was finding nemo made into 3D after, or before? If after the movie was made, then how come avatar didn't wow me like finding nemo/imax under the water, did?

2. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Nemo is post production conversion to 3D, as are a lot of films, an awful lot. There are a few that are shot in 3D and they should be (in my opinion anyway) a better viewing experience.

Out of the films I've seen, the best use of 3D have been Avatar (IMAX version), Pacific Rim (IMAX again), Dredd, Aliens vs Monsters, Prometheus (shame about the film) and Tron Legacy (IMAX again). I've seen others but the 3D was pretty much meh, generally it involved a couple of objects swirling out of the screen and that was it. I tend to restrict my expensive viewing tastes to event films and if there is a 2D option I'll go for that instead, I watched Man of Steel in 2D and it was fine to watch.

Avatar would have to rank as one of the best 3D experiences as I thought it made the best use of the 3D perspective, not just the obvious flying shots but other scenes as well. There are some scenes in any 3D film that just don't have much of an impact so it can seem a bit flat (unintended pun) and don't do much of anything. I haven't watched a domestic 3D set up with any of the films I've already seen in 3D to get a comparison so its no fair to comment on that.
    For what its worth, I reckon that proper 3D belongs in the cinema and unless you have an absolutely monster home cinema set up you simply can't compete with the spectacle of a cinema screen - especially IMAX. Pacific Rim is my new favourite 3D film, so much so that I fully expect to be disappointed with the 2D Blu Ray when it comes out.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

I've only seen Avatar, in both 3D and 2D, and I have to say it was technically well done.
    Didn't add to the film for me though.

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Just to make it clear, a good 3D experience does not necessarily translate into a good film. Avatar was a dull and predictable film but terrific in 3D, Pacific Rim had truly stunning action sequences but the bits in between simply served as padding to justify the action.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

+1 for Dredd, especially the slo-mo scenes.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

IMAX is awesome other 3d films I've seen outside it were patchy at best.

Also alot of films been converted to 3d then screaned these are not so good in my oppinion. Still think 3d is a gimmick in the home environment simply because to get 4 people to benifit from the effects they have to be direct in line with the telly. Great if you have that sort of space but very few do. Any angle and the 3d effect goes out of the window.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

What irks me is when I watch "normal" 2D movies and the gratuitious §D scenes jump me anyway.
    And yes, needless pokes into the camera are one of these effects.

8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I dunno, maybe conventional movies don't look good when converted, but I thought finding nemo looked awesome. I assume it's easier to convert an animated movie to 3D easier than a standard movie?

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Yep because they already have the z depth from animating the film. Live action flat unless you shoot with dual lenses

10. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

3D makes me feel left out :(

I'm red/green and blue/yellow colour blind and blind in my left eye. All in all not a good combination for 3D as far as my understanding of the technology is concerned.

I've never seen Avatar for the above reason :( I might have to give it a go on a 3D TV and see if I get any effect at all.

11. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I can't recall how many movies I've seen in 3d / IMAX at the theatres, but I do remember seeing Jackass (the newest one was in 3d) and also The Dark Knight Rises. I've seen a few more, but I can't recall which. At home the only 3d movie I own is Avatar, it came free with our 3d tv and I didn't like the movie but in 3d it is very nice looking. I've tried a few ps3 games in 3d and it wasn't as exciting as I would have liked.

I'd like to try out more 3d movies, but they're fairly expensive, and I also only have 2 pairs of 3d glasses, so I can't really sit down and watch it with the family.

12. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

Out of the ones i own the best 3D ones are The Avengers and The Hobbit. Captain America, Prometheus and Dredd are good too. Stuff like Resident Evil: Afterlife and Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance may not be that great films but have a couple of quite good fight scenes.

Heres how i would suggest them to you

Films to buy, The Avengers, The Hobbit

Films to consider the 3D version over 2D only version, Captain America, Prometheus, Dredd, Tron: Legacy.

Films to rent/borrow first, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance, Underworld: Awakening, Saw 3D, Wrath Of The Titans.

I've got Avatar and Titanic in 3d but not seen 3D version so won't comment yet.

13. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Only 3D film I have is Tron: Legacy. I love it. Admittedly I squeal like a girl every time the Daft Punk soundtrack kicks in from the open credits. I think the 3D is well done in it.

EDIT: The 2D real world vs the 3D virtual world makes for a great comparison.

14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Funny people mentioned Dredd, I saw it in 2D and thought it was an ok film, and funnily enough I thought the slo mo effects were a bit cheesy lol, and showed off that the film was low budget, but hey ^^

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If your TV is "Passive" 3D (your glasses don't need batteries), then the specs they give you at the cinema will work just as well as bought ones.

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Im still hoping its a fad that'll pass soon, I've found a lot of films using 3D just for the sake of using 3D, it doesn't add anything to the film, other than odd out of place scenes.

Superman recently was one such film, the beginning on Krypton with a mash up of Avatar and Starwars III, the scenes were dragged out painfully. After that the film balanced again and settled into a watch able film which I enjoyed.

3D is ruining good films. A tactic to get more people into the cinema's to earn on opening weekends. If it isn't 3D the accountants ask why not as they perceive that's what the customers wants.

However if you remove 3D from all the box office successes since it's introduction, you'll find those films would still have been successes.

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I dunno, I don't want to keep harping on about finding nemo, but I really did think that it added to the movie. Maybe it's the exception. I can say that I hoped 3D would die off, but when you can buy a TV with 3D for the same money that you'd pay for the same size one, without the 3D a few years ago, why not. Now as far as going and seeing movies in 3D at the cinemas, then yeah, I don't go watch 3D movies at the cinema unless I'm 90% sure that it's a good movie.

I also don't believe that 3D makes a good movie, bad. Movies that are bad, are just bad or 'not that great'. I mean, everyone else thought avatar was awesome, but I don't think it's any better on 3D or 2D. When I say that, I'm thinking that with 2D you'll get a picture that's sharper, and less tiring to watch (re eye strain), and with 3D you get a movie that gets some added immersion.

I think your third point contradicts your fourth a bit, since you say that 3D is ruining good films, and then in your fourth that if you remove 3D movies from 'box office successes' that would still have been successes. o_O Either way, people have the choice to see 3D movies in 2D, so as long as there's still the choice I'm happy.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2013
  18. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

Iron Man 3.......I didn't think it added anything to the film & the only parts that you really noticed it was where things were moving slowly/slo-mo scenes. Fast moving objects flying out or into the screen just sort of flicker along, maybe they need to up the fps or something.

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have seen quite a few 3D movies and to be honest I never saw the point. None of the films needed it and seemed like a waste of time to be honest.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I found Avatar "pops" more in 2D, sharper image quality but also it lets your eye's wander around the screen noticing the little details of high quality CGI. Watching Avatar really makes you think Pandora exists.

Doesn't help that I need to wear glasses on a more permanent basis now, which makes for wearing 3D glasses uncomfortable. An old work colleague told me some higher end home 3D systems offer prescription 3D lenses, but that's serious outlay.

Bring on 4K, so I can justify a screen bigger than 32in.