1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Laptop HDD connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Publ!c Enemy, 24 Apr 2011.

1. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

Hi, i thought i would ask for help because i have got stuck.
    The big picture is my brothers laptop broke (vista got so far and then BSOD), so i decided to replace vista.
    I'm at college and as some deal thing or something i was able to get Vista for free it downloaded as just an ISO image.
    So i downloaded then tried to burn it to disc, it eventually worked but even after setting the boot device order it just says "operating system not found".
    Here's where the tittle comes in, i can't get it to work soo i though i would plug the HDD from the laptop into my comupter and install from there but the connector is like just the pins no plastic covers, exactly the same size. i'll include a photo. so if someone could tell me what it is and/or where i can buy a converter it'll be much appreciated.

I hope that makes sense. It could be me been thick with the ISO image, all i did was literally burn it to disc, anyway any help would be really kind of you.
    Richard.
    ps how do you include a photo? :sigh:

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if its just pins are there 44 of them, if so it sounds like a 2.5" ide connecter

you would just need one of these to connect internally or you could get a ide to usb adaptor

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

so if you open the burned disk you just have the .iso file on there? thats wrong. if you're on win 7 there is a built in to burn an iso. otherwise you'll need a program that will burn it correctly like magic iso or img burn.

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Publ!c Enemy likes this.
  5. Publ!c Enemy

lysol i though it wasn't write but i didn't know what else to do.
    RichCreedy sorry i should be more clear it's like say an SSD in size and shape but it uses the standard desktop sata power and data connectors. just they are to big to fit on the desktop connectors.
    http://img857.imageshack.us/i/20110424133133.jpg/

6. IvanIvanovich

looks like there is some sort of adapter plugged into the drive in the picture. but that drive does have standard sata connection according to the spec sheet. but really you don't need to be concerned with any of that if you get your os disk burned correctly.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2011
  7. Publ!c Enemy

OMG i didn't even think that it was an adapter, you genius:) underneath it is just regular normal desktop connectors. now, i have an ISO image of vista and XP which should i use?

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

lol, yeap had i seen the picture before, i could have said take the adaptor off

9. IvanIvanovich

burn your vista iso with imgburn or similar to make sure it comes out as a proper bootable os disk.

10. Publ!c Enemy

Thank you all, sorry for not replying earlier, exams soon + coursework deadlines for college.
    All sorted out fine now, it's even runs a bit faster with no rubbish on it... yet:)
    Anyway thankyou all for your help i do appreciate it:D
    Richard