1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop folding

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by brave758, 24 Apr 2009.

1. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Hey all ive i'm back out in the UAE and was wondering if i could use my laptop for folding or is this not the best idea and likley to kill my laptop.

The specs are a 3 gigs of ram and a centrino2 p8400.

Thanks Brave

2. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

i think it may kill ur laptop or shortens it life dramaticly

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Processors are there to be used, and whilst the cooling and power delivery bits would be stressed a bit more I doubt it would kill your laptop too quickly.

4. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Assuming the cooling on your laptop is sufficient when it's running at 100% load, then there's no problem. I fold on my laptop without any problems at all. Give it a try, and if it starts overheating you can always reduce the CPU % used by Folding@home.

5. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Cool will do thanks

6. Dak1n

Dak1n What's a Dremel?

I fold on my laptop, seems to work ok, just make sure the air flows ok, and definitely make sure that it stops on battery mode, because it will shorten battery life

7. Vince_Kinslow

Vince_Kinslow Folding Millionaire

You do hear a lot of people complaining about folding lilling there lappies as UF says reduce the % allocated to folding will help longevity:thumb:

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I fold on an old acer laptop that has fans blowing cool air into the base of it to keep temps low but for the PPD it produces per watt that it takes to run it (points per watt ratio basically) it probably isn't worth it. If you are desperate for points though, by all means ;) Just remember what's been said here. Laptops don't like 100% load tasks because of the heat produced and their lack of being able to get rid of it, so be careful to keep the vents very well exposed and even do what I do and run speedfan on it to keep an eye on your CPU's core temp :)

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

unless you know it can keep the cpu and the inside cool laptops not ment for constant full load, me dads laptop seems cool even when encodeing video files, so whould be ok in that case but some do get Very hot (if its an Nvidia laptop best not fold on them due to problems with the chipset and heat)

10. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

I would preface that with "poorly designed"

If the cooling system has been designed properly, then it should be able to handle full load with no problems at all, as long as you don't leave it lying on your bed with the vents blocked ;)

11. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Hey guys after reading through your posts i think its best not to fold on the laptop out here. with current air temps about 46c and getting hotter( the the desert sucks)

With this being my only link to the world i rather keep it safe