1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Elder Scrolls Online Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 Feb 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

I can't wait for this

3. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

The thing I really don't understand about this game is why you have to pay a monthly subscription for the PvE part.

For me, there are many weeks where I don't have any chance to play at all and others where I do but even then barely 10 hours total if that, so a monthly subscription (as opposed to "game credit") is next to useless and rather poor value for the weeks I don't get to play (the car + fuel analogy for subscriptions vs. one-off-payment would be paying to fill up with fuel and then watching it pour out onto your driveway on days when you don't drive)

Back to the PvE vs. PvP vs. subscription: I would definitely have bought and played TESO if the PvE part didn't have the subscription, but you needed a subscription to enter Cyrodiil. Apart from other players running around in their "parallel overlayed universe", there is no real benefit from being on a server for that part? (the server upkeep being the main arguing point for subscription in the first place?) In Skyrim, I found my followers to simply get in the way continuously to the extent that I quested alone for the bulk of the game until I got a follower that couldn't die, so that just feels like it would be even worse in an MMO sense? The online broadcasted demo of gameplay at the conference thingy months ago didn't really help my opinion of this, with it way too chaotic and confusing. It just didn't look like fun to me.

I know I'm speaking very much from personal preference here (not a fan of MMOs and haven't even bothered with WoW for the above reasons), but I'm of the same opinion as many were when the latest Sim City was released; if most of the game is single player on the face of it, then why are servers (and therefore subscriptions) required? If only a section of the game has true online server connected functionality (i.e. Cyrodiil), why can't we have that bit only paywalled?

Hell, have it so that if you don't pay the subscription, you're completely disconnected and on your own and locked out of Cyrodiil - a bit like PS Plus and Xbox Live - and you pay the subscription to unlock the online part, but otherwise have access to the other areas (described as PvE in this preview). I'd pay for that!

Better yet, be "pay as you go" time credit based for those like me with limited available time to game...

In other words, I want the best of both worlds, and the flexibility to choose when I want to pay to be online!

/rant

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

tl;dr: If the "PvE" sections have limited use of online functionality, I'd rather have flexibility to choose to pay to be online and be locked out of Cyrodiil if I don't pay subscription

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

This is basically Skyrim with less fancy graphics and a multiplayer-mode. It's not a MMORPG tho, far from it.

Sorry, but this is not the MMO you're looking for.

6. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

But think of the shareholders!

I can see it's tempting for publishers to think they can squeeze the average price of a game 4-5 times a year out of a every single gamer, indefinitely. I can also see there's still publishers who haven't yet learned that only Blizzard is able to entice a large crowd of gamers for any longer than 6 months.

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

CCP and their 500k customers tend to disagree with you there. And infact EvE is still growing, even after eleven years, while WoW is constantly loosing subscriptions for the last two or three years.

But yeah, WoW is still the biggest subscription-based title, by far.

8. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Already pre-ordered and played the beta, only got to level 8 but really enjoyed it and love the levelling and skills system.
    I will be playing in all the betas that come before its released and the fact my laptop can play it is a bonus.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Played the beta and hated it in truth.

None caster combat is clunky, healing is broken. Questing with others is none existant. You end up spending more in repairs than you can earn in cash due to lack of a mob grind.

Personally think a Skyrim with Co Op would be a better bet for those that like the genre.

Its got 1 thing going for it and thats its looks, It looks amazing probably one of the best looking MMOs made wether thats enough to tempt people to buy it is another matter.

CCP and EVE have around 1million subs between them, Star wars got canned at 1.3million subs, Star trek online had similar numbers and was booted into touch.

Too many big branded mmos that have failed in recent years, Personally Ill wait and see where its at in 6months. Most likely there will be free trials going by then to test the game out.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

^^ likewise played beta and it sucks.

SWTOR actually ended up with something like 800k subs before it went F2P

11. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Ebonhear Pact, races are Nords, Dunmer & Argonians only.
    Khajiit along with Altmer and Bosmer belong to Aldmeri Dominion.
    Breton, Redguard & Orcs to Daggerfall Covenant.

And seems you played completely different game than the one I played over the last three beta sessions.

12. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

While I see many people buying TESO i don't believe even half of those will pay for more than 1-2 months.
    Played beta found it boring. Running for an hour between buildings in a city talking to everyone is not what I'm looking for, no matter how good the story is (and it was just poor).

Until they remove the subscription I'm not interested. I like MMOs, I don't mind paying for them, but in beta I hardly noticed any social aspects to the game. Maybe they come later - I don't know. For now, I'm out.

13. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Played the beta and.....it's just not what I was expecting and feel slightly disappointed, I know, I know it;s not Skyrim but more Skyrim is what I want, soooooo I've started Skyrim AGAIN

14. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

When it comes to Skyrim I do love the game. However, I find the game tedious up to level 15 or so and then it picks up pace for me until level 40 ish when things start to plateau and by level 50 I really start to lose interest. I then end up taking a break, eventually start to miss it and end up starting again. Who knows, maybe I'll eventually play it up and beyond level 80 once I build the new machine (next couple of months) and can then load up the HD packs as well as hit all maximum GPU levels.

As for TESO, I tend to swing from 80% excited / 20% worried to 80% worried / 20% excited. I think I will miss the first month and judge it from there.

15. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

*sigh*

All I wanted is Skyrim...with co-op...so my PC-gaming friends can join me in exploring a world together, and p0wning up bad guys. We don't care that only one of us in the party will be "special"...the rest can be a happy band of followers and bodyguards...the combat and story will still be there after all.

Same goes for Fallout....

16. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

I hadn't played an ES game before but I found the characters in ESO kinda ugly. I couldn't make a character that was aesthetically pleasing to me and I lost interest very quickly. It's the same reason I could never get into wow.

17. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Indeed very ugly characters can be made (from the loading screen)... (sarcasm)

If you haven't played any ES before, believe me they are best looking ones ever we had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I think it's pretty good, nice graphics and way better combat than Elder Scrolls ever had, and a better skill tree too. Main problem for me is that the solo questing is just the same as every other MMO. The end game sounds interesting and sort of motivates me, but then the other problem I have is the price. It's too much.

19. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I played beta and didnt really like it at all. I found it boring, and it pretty much plays the same as WoW generally, questing, kill this, collect that.
    I am still looking for a truly revolutionary MMO. Star Citizen and The Repopulation are the 2 I am interested in. It is a shame they are both probably over a year away.

20. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I agree. After ~40h on TESO over the last two sessions, I cannot play Skyrim nor Oblivion again. They are too clunky, from battles to UI to dialogs and even core game. (skill points, levels, etc). Also the phasing works well, making the quests more dynamic, and by doing them one at the time, without trying to "rush" are more enjoying.

And to everyone, while DC & EP NPC characters are tad dry, you need to try the AD ones. Especially the Khajiit characters :)

Tags: Add Tags