1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Still Active older multiplayer shooters

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by qualalol, 11 Mar 2014.

1. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

I started playing Wolfenstein Enemy Territory a year or so back, which is the first time I've ever played multiplayer shooters -- it's quite fun, on the other hand it feels slightly dated now, and I'd like to try some new games just to see what there is. I play fairly casually, on average once every two weeks -- sometimes much more often, sometimes not for a month or two.

I see that games like BF4 are all the rage at the moment, however I'm not too keen on running after whatever the latest most popular game happens to be, especially since I'm not playing particularly seriously. I'm after games that have been around for a while, since those ones are likely to be around for quite a while longer so I can play as little or as often as I want without having to buy newer games / relearning games (and buying new hardware to keep up) etc. Ideally I'm after games that allow you to host your own servers (which means the publisher doesn't/can't just shut down the game), which at least BF3 and BF4 wouldn't allow.

So, what slightly older shooters are there that are still popular and as fun as ET, allow you to host your own servers, and would run well on my hardware? Looks like BF2 or BF2142 might be an option, but what are the most active older games still around?

Key hardware info: FX-8350 with a HD7750, @ 1920x1200.

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Quake Live?

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Click on Community activity (the wavey graph) on the Steam home page, it will list the most popular games being played on Steam at the moment.

4. suragh

suragh Derp

Counter Strike: Source is still a popular FPS to play. I must have accumulated over 400 hours playing that game since buying it. It isn't your "so called BF4/COD" title but it's definitely worth looking at some game play videos.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Pretty sure the original Unreal Tournament (UT99) has a number of active servers, with the ability to host your own matches if you want.

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Black hawk down and joint operations still going. I'm on there servers every night

7. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Bad Company 2 is still going strong, that's brilliant.

8. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and the various expansion packs that go with it

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

As a fairly recent convert I'd recommend a Counter Strike game, don't need much oomph to play and lots of players :)

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

What about Team Fortress 2?

It's free, decent, not pay to win and has dedicated servers.

11. chewbaccas_nan

I can vouch for CS Source, one of my favourite multiplayers ever. Didn't really like the new one though..

12. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Still awesome online. I still play the Vietnam expansion pack on the weekends if I get a chance :D

13. chewbaccas_nan

Yeah love that expansion! There's a Dice test server which does regular map rotations and goes onto vietnam maps too, and I don't even have it but it still lets me play lol.