1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Another Resident Evil film a possibility?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nothing to do with the fact that she's his missus, of course. Oh, no. The massive fee she'll get is merely co-incidental.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Ah Doom wasn't that bad. Had it come out yet been nothing about the game, I think people would have enjoyed it a bit more.

Not seen the last Res Evil. Given the second film had one good scene (Nemesis vs. Marshalls), I didn't hold much hope for the second.

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Never watched the other films.. Never particularly interested, despite being told they are (for the most part) decent films.

I'd REALLY like to see Postal though, after having seen the intro on youtube and reading the synopsis on wikipedia, it looks like one of the funniest films ever. Uwe Boll is like Tim Westwood, you REALLY mustn't take him seriously.

5. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

If they kept the story of the games the films wouldn't have sucked.

If he's going to make another film, do the original, properly. The game story is far, far more interesting than the re-hash crap of the films.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Considering the ending of the last one, a sequel is a daft proposition.

I mean, I like Milla just as much as the next guy, but that may be a bit much.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2008
  7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It makes no sense, given what happened in 3. The badguys would have to be even bigger and even more powerful. Which would just look stupid.

As for sticking to the story, of the games, though, I don't see that as a particularly viable option for game>movie translations. The game is designed to stimulate the player in different ways to the film, and although they can both happily feature the same characters, the protagonist of the film is invariably going to be different to that of the game.

What the games fleshed the length with simply won't work well on th big screen. Massive example: Tomb Raider. Puzzle based game. Made you think. Movie? Stared at Angelina Jolies boobs for a bit, and spent most of it mentally switched off.

Resi is much the same. The fear, the puzzles, the camera angle, and so on would simply not translate to the big screen. Fear is probably the easiest thing to translate between the formats, but these days, we've seen it all, we're very rarely scared anymore.

That reads pretty ramble-y, but I swear there's sense in it somewhere!

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have to agree on the story, sure they are fun, no-brainer fluff and reasonably enjoyable to watch but there should have been a lot more done with the mansion, there would have been great scope for zombie suspense and bits to make the audience jump with the enclosed nature of the mansion.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Absolutely - The story was far from perfect, but it's not like it was as bad as, say, National Treasure 2. They could have done a LOT more with the mansion, I agree, but now they've moved on from that setting, I imagine it'd be hard to go back to it, as only the players of the game will be aware of the Mansion being pretty.. Prominent in most of the characters story. Everyone else would either be confused or bored, slating it as having repeated the first movie.

10. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Spot on!

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Doom's OK. Not great, but it's a lot better than I expected it to be. Resident Evil 1 was pretty decent, all things considered, but the second and third... I couldn't maintain suspension of disbelief, which means the films failed on the first hurdle.

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I enjoyed the first 2 movies, the third film just didn't feel finished
    the survivors got on the copter and flew off with no closure on what happened to them. The army of Alice clones (left till the next one I suppose) and the (slightly) more inteligent zombies (wee, I can use a camera and a phone but keep the kids shape sorter out of reach) weren't really used

13. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Res one was the only half decent film out of the lot.
    Given the fan reaction and the fact that capcom decided to make the next Res film themselfs (using CG) probably rules this out.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I liked all three, and rank them same as the order they came out. I'd see a fourth if one came out, but not with high expectations.

15. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Thought the first one was pretty good. Thought the 2nd one was terrible so I never saw the third, really doubt I would go see a 4th one.

16. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

didn't even know there was a third o0

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

The third was considered one of the worst? imho it went 2, 3,1 in quality.

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Great films and id welcome another.

19. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I actually liked all three of the movies. As far as video game movies go, even the second one was good.

20. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

if someone HAS to go and make a movie from a game i'd suggest F.E.A.R.

it has enough gray areas and twists that you could keep to the story without making it droll, by focusing on events and people and the things that happened outside the main character's area and perspective. also going into more of the backstory would give it enough depth to make it truly interesting.

Tags: Add Tags