1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Dropbox alternatives

Discussion in 'Software' started by mrbungle, 3 Jun 2014.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

My subscription from a HTC one X I bought a couple of years ago has run out.

The fees are extortionate to keep up the 28GB folder I have so will not be renewing.

What are my alternatives? I run a home server is there something I could host myself?

I have a android phone and it is primarily used to sync various files and photos between machines.

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

If you have your own server, OwnCloud could be a solution for you. They have an Android App, as well as clients for Linux, Windows and OSX (and importantly, relatively decent documentation)

The other alternative I've heard a lot about is SyncThing, which also has an Android App, though it's not as mature as Owncloud.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I use onedrive, through various offers etc. over the last few years mine is 28gb which I don't have to pay anything for. Though, I don't think you would be able to get close to that these days. Starts with 7gb free and there was recently a promotion (that might still be running) if you install it on an iproduct and backup your photo roll to it. 50gb is £16 a year.

5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

This. Even if you don't have your own server, renting a VDS will probably be cheaper than subscription to cloud provider.

As for other providers, from personal experience:
    Onedrive - slow to sync, windows client tends to crash a lot or hogs all available ram.
    Google drive - "fun" then dealing with file conflicts, usualy ends up making numerous copies of files from different revisions, almost impossible to fix.

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I pay about £3 a month for GoogleDrive, gives me 100gb. After loosing 100 or so photo's from my last holiday, i wanted to back them up off site.

I know Novatech offer a cloud service, £10 for unlimited storage, but i've never tried it, and i don't know alot about it.

Sam

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I use it on at least 5 pc/laptops, and I have never experienced either of these things.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Thanks for the replies, plenty of ideas to play with.

I have onedrive on a machine and tbh I had forgotten about it as I used it when I had a short spell with a W8 phone.

Seems a fair bit cheaper than dropbox.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I also use it on several systems and haven't had issues with it

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Onedrive is brilliant, never had an issue with it.

11. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I run crashplan dropbox, onedrive & googledrive. All backing up the same folder of snapshot backups. Dropbox also has another 60GB of data and crashplan has everything. Everything!

I've been paying for dropbox for a while and it's fine... but expensive. When my sub runs out I'll either migrate to google or see how iCloud drive pans out.

I ran some tests a while back on upload speed and all came out about equal... apart from Microsoft who were terribly slow for uploads. No more than a quarter of the speed of the others. It's still 'fast' but no where near was I running my line at maximum. Appeared to be seriously capped and therefore useless.

So test them out compared to the alternatives. It may have just been a few off days. Maybe something to do with my connection (BT Infinity), but at the end of the day MS was pig slow for me.

12. darknessblade

darknessblade What's a Dremel?

13. Noxvayl

Noxvayl What's a Dremel?

I am currently using SpiderOak which I really like. It has competitive prices if you plan to use more than the free storage offered and has good security. It can be daunting to use as a novice but offers some good features for more advanced users. The main reason I went with SpiderOak was because it offers the ability to synchronise your existing folder structure without having to move everything into the applications special folder, so much more convenient than Dropbox and all the others that copied them.

If you are interested consider using my referal link, gives me and you 1GB extra storage capacity.

Referal Link: https://spideroak.com/download/referral/647abf12c1141a22e177fd6208ef7109

14. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Bittorrent Sync? It doesn't use the cloud and is encrypted with some 30 character long hash to share a folder. Obviously you will need to keep your home server online with a beefy upload :)

15. Thawn

Thawn What's a Dremel?

If you are self-hosting I also recommend looking at Seafile - it uses git for its infrastructure and in my usage has been rock-solid.