1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Strange power-up problem..... MB or PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 4 Sep 2014.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've got a strange power up problem with my desktop at the moment:
    - Leave it plugged in, press the power button, nothing.
    - Turn off at PSU or unplug, turn back on after a few seconds and try power button, still nothing.
    - Turn off at PSU or unplug. Then after a long period turn on before pressing power button, boots normally.
    So now I am forced to wait for shutdown then turn off at PSU whenever I finish using the computer.

I suspect a capacitor issue, so either PSU or motherboard. But I’ve got no way to test without spending money or hassle (and moral wrongness) of returns. So I’d like to try to get it right as much as possible.

Gigabyte z68-UD5 and Corsair Ax850 PSU, both out of warranty. Rest are in my sig.

What does Bit-tech think? Which component is most likely to be faulty?

Alternatively, perhaps I need to get off my arse and do a rebuild. That might sort out the problem? :eyebrow:

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I've got a spare Corsair CX600 I can lend you if you want to try it. It's got a noisy bearing in the fan but it works ok.

It does sound like a PSU issue to me but I could be wrong.

3. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Sounds like the PSU is overheating and cutting out, I had a Thermaltake 750W that did exactly the same, it would cut out and if you unplugged it and left it for a few hours it would work but not for long.

4. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Forgot to mention that the PSU was second one from Thermaltake to die early, first one lasted 22 months then second one had same problem as yours after 18 months and advice I got was "bin it" it's would cost more to repair than buy a new one.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would agree it's the PSU time to replace it I reckon

6. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Sounds like something similar that I had to deal with before replacing my PSU recently. I had a CX600, pretty mediocre PSU. Got an EVGA Supernova G2 750 now, everything is buttery smooth.

Time to replace the old girl and get a new PSU, looks like.

7. wyx087

I forgot to say, the bullet points for symptoms in OP are when trying to turn on the machine. Not during use, so I doubt it's due to overheating.

Thank you for the offer lancer. But borrowing your PSU would produce an extra step of having to return it to you before buying one if it were the cause. Seeing everyone here thinks it's the PSU, I'll just go on ahead and order a new one.

May I ask were you also unable to turn on your machine unless unplug it for a while?

So what's a good PSU these days? probably going to go for 750w +- 100w. Might go 580 SLI in the future seeing the price of a second hand is quite cheap.

I'm a Corsair-Seasonic fanboy. Last 2 had been the very first Corsair Hx620, then this Ax850. Which Corsair model is made by Seasonic these days?

8. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

9. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

I replace my son's Thermaltake with a one of these http://tinyurl.com/ngrehho Corsair PSU, nice steady power with a good warranty.

10. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Once the system is booted does it run withou any issues? What about when you restart?

11. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

12. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Posted before I saw Lancer's posting that last PSU he linked to looks to be very good, wish I'd seen it before buying the other one.

13. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Well you have certainly made me feel crap, just don't let my son know I bought him a crap PSU.:o:wallbash::duh::sigh:

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Don't fret too much, JonnyGuru's review review of its bigger brother (same OEM, Chicony) isn't as harsh as the HardOCP review. Corsair also fixed the overheating issue found by the HardOCP review.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Do you still have to wait as long if you unplug the PSU and hold down the power button for a while ? I'm thinking it maybe an overcharged capacitor.

16. wyx087

Yes, it runs without issue. No problems on restarts.

Another symptom is say I shutdown for a few hours without unplug. When I return and press power-on button, it takes a bit longer than it should to spin up the fans and see lights flash on the mobo.

When encountering the problems, I do unplug the PSU and hold down the power button sometime. But I never timed the length of time, as it varies depend on how long it’s been left shutdown and plugged in. Kind of difficult to measure.

Overcharged capacitor is my thought also. It definitely is a capacitor issue.