1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve doesn't care about Steamworks boycotts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Steam need some competition, to keep there prices down and to keep them at bay of becoming to big for their own boots..
    But ofc only time will tell.

3. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

*cough*1 day offers*cough*

4. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

Tbh even if the other companies caught up with Steam I would still use it.

5. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Valve has no real say in the prices of anything bar their own games the publisher or developer picks the selling price.

The one day offers on right now are just yet another example of why steam is so popular. Frankly anyone who says steam is underhanded or whatever is just spouting sour grapes that people want, yes want we are not forced, to use steam. I love most everything about the service and happily buy games from steam. I don't even look at D2D or Impulse at all.

Steamworks is helping bring PC gaming to a fuller platform with better integration bringing a more unified free platform and I for one am happy to support it.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

At first, yes. I would have agreed wholeheartedly that Steam was a pain in the ass and blah blah blah.

However, now having lived with it installed (Thanks to it being required for some of my hardcopy games, and having bought some of the HL2 stuff for use of the Hammer Editor), I honestly don't see what the big deal is anymore.

It usually stays sat in the system tray being quiet, only cropping up when it wants an update, or a game wants an update. Frankly, while I won't be replacing hardcopies with it, I don't care that it's required. It's not like it's a system drain, nor does it get in the way. Same goes for GFWL. Never had an issue with that, either. Never bought anything off it, but redeemed multiple "free" bonus things for DoWII.

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

the sooner most of the industry uses steam, the better. lets face no one else has exactly succeeded with the digital distribution channel on PC (when you take into account social options that steam offers) on the same level.

i agree with Gabe, should they suffer because no-one else has managed to do it as well? i dont think so. also with the networking options that Xbox live gives you without Steam there would be no rival service on PC, which would be a big step down for us imo.

long live steam and valve because tbh if either of them go out of business pc gaming is dead in the water

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

<3 steam.

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

In the beginning there was the Word, and the Word was with Gabe, and the Word was Steam!

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I think Steam is great. I used to always pirate all my games (one cos i don't have much money and second because i hate having to find a dvd and have it in the drive to play a game that is fully installed on to my hard drive anyway,) but now i regularly take advantage of the weekend deals.

The only problem I have with steam is quite a lot of the games are cheaper to buy from places such as play.com but then I'd be back to the old problem of needing to have the dvd to hand or using a nodvd crack anyway so i don't buy those ones.

11. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Also, second problem with Steam is not being able to chose which hard drive to install each game you buy on. I have Steam installed on my SSD but like to install most of my games on to an F3 as they load fast enough off that and the SSD is only 128GB.

12. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

i love steam too but since moving to mac im now confined to urban terror (which is actually great fun and free!)

bring steam to mac and see me booted for cheatz hackz and all that even though im jus leet, innit ;)

13. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Install the game then move it to where you want and use this command to make a directory link:

mklink /D X:\destination_directory C:\source_directory

14. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

How come publishers/developers are allowed to do this on digital distribution? if they tried that at realail you'd be hearing OFT investigation quicker than you could say price fixing.

Maybe the EU need to have a look at this, I notice the say thing is done with MP3's etc.

15. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

honestly i dont see any problem with steam either, its just sitting quitely in my system tray,lol

16. heavyglow

heavyglow "MEDIC!"

what are you talking about, of course publishers pick the price for retail

17. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Publishers Set a R.R.P., the retailer can chose any price he wishes.

18. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Yea the retailers buy the game at X price and are given a suggested price, but are free to sell it at any price they want. Could sell CODMW2 for £5, but they'd lose money on every sale. Could also sell it at £100 but they will be lucky to shift more than 1 copy a day.

19. Matticus

Matticus ...

Meh, if there systems were worth using they would be used. People these days just seem to piss and moan about everything that doesn't go their way, if they put half as much effort into developing their platform as they did whining about steam then maybe they would be a viable choice for gamers.

Also of course valve are going to use their own distribution system on l4d2, it would be ridiculous not to.

20. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

Steam needs HD Movies to own at 50-75% Blu-Ray or rent like PSN to penetrate the PC market beyond gaming before reeling them in with cloud based gaming services. Also it's DRM model has worked (how many pirates can play L4D2 online) and is largely accepted by the PC gaming community so it makes sense for developers to consider Steam as a requirement.

Tags: Add Tags