1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Announces Brand Name For New Chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 May 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. zinger

zinger What's a Dremel?

The Conroe chips appear to be the sweet ones. I read a review of one of these being drastically overclocked and with it running on air it was only 40 degrees.

3. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Any news when the AM2 chips will be out? (i hope i said the name right)

Im curious to see exactly how well they do against the competition before i commit and buy :s

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

5. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

ah thanks bigz, much appreciated :)

Im guessing the general belief is that the AM2 wont be as good as conroe? Its the general feeling im getting it seems and that article seems to suggest it wont be a huge leap forward from current hardware.

6. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Funny thing is i saw some benchies of a Beta AM2/Mobo/BIOS config a few days ago, tbh the AM2 setup lost in all the benchies compared to a 3500+/DFI setup...and thats using DDR2 667/800mhz.

They said the thing that kills the AM2 is the latancies that DDR2 have.

TBH ill wait till sept untill i make any major purchaces.

7. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Everyone keeps saying this, but it's not supposed to. AM2 is a new socket, the chips are still the same architecture. There will be no large increases in speed with the AM2 chips over the Socket 939 chips, because they are essentially the same chips!

8. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Intel should think of finding a better nameing policy.

Here we go again with low this, medium that and high to everything else. Its becoming a nightmare with all of these code names for this that and the other.

Cant say I'm not interested though...if the rumours are true about passive cooling I'm in.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think that low-latency DDR2 memory is what's required by AM2 to make it perform. Ultimately, there is some locked potential in AM2 that will only get unlocked when memory manufacturers release low-latency DDR2 memory. AM2 doesn't need more bandwidth, as the architecture relies heavily on latency.

Intel's current architecture works differently as it benefits more from bandwidth than latency. I'm not sure how Conroe will work in comparison yet - only time will tell after independent testing has been completed. Conroe does have a huge 4MB cache though, so the implications suggest that Conroe also benefits from huge bandwidth. SuperPI 1M, for example, can fit inside the 4MB cache (which has massive bandwidth in comparison to the DDR2 memory controller in the chipset).

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i hope intel learns to make bether names for there chips, i am getting tired of these strange names, they should do something like pentium 5 or something like that.

11. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Yeah, I was actually hoping that they would go with Pentium 5. Core, Core2 is boring, bland, unimaginative. Pentium even after so long still sounds cool. Its like a metal-titanium or uranium. Pentium sounds strong.

And what about the uninformed consumers? Its going to be a hard sell. Anyone would have known that Pentium 5 is better than Pentium 4. But whats a Core? I can actually see people saying no to the salesperson, I want a P4. or the online Dell (gag me) buyers choose P4 thinking its fast cuz thats what the bluemangroup told them. Even after a year few nontechies know what dual core means and are now choosing P4's over Penium D's. In fact glancing at the local best buy ad in last weeks sunday paper, I saw NO dual core Intels or AMDs for sale period.

Core/Core2 was not a smart name IMO

Tags: Add Tags