1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Boot keeps hanging

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 14 Nov 2012.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My daughters pc keeps hanging on boot, just when it reaches the ACHI bit.

When I reset the bios everything is back to normal, power down and then it hangs on boot again.

Is the cmos on the fritz? I'm tempted to flash the bios but I'm concerned it will totally brick the board.

It's an MSI 790FX GD70, the cmos is soldered on which is a pain and I can't remember how long the warranty was for.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

What disks are attached to it?

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

She has a 128gb Crucial C300 and a 1tb seagate sata 3 drive but both of these are connected to a highpoint 620 pcie card.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Might be worth stripping it down to basics and seeing if anything is causing it to hang.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Disconnected both drives and still happens.

Can't even do a restart :(

6. Deders

Deders Modder

so the only things that are in it are 1 stick of ram, CPU and GPU?

what happens if you turn AHCI off in the bios?

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

1 stick of ram, no difference, changed ram to some 1.65v stuff I have spare, still no difference.

Changed to IDE mode and she boots, now I can't run it long tem like that as I believe SSD's don't fair well.

Am I right in believing that the AHCI is a bios in itself, it flashes up once, then ther ocket 620 post info comes up and then the AHCI comes up again. Does the rocket have some sort of AHCI controller as well?

Also before, I could just reset the bios load the saved settings and it would reboot but unless it's set to ide it hangs regardless so Obviously there is something wrong regarding AHCI somewhere.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

AHCI needs to be set on the controller itself, as no drives are connected to your motherboard settings in the bios aren't going to make any difference.

AHCI isn't a bios in itself but if the motherboard is set to raid then a mini bios might appear, same for the rocket.

The SSD will be fine be fine so long as the Rockest is set to AHCI and this is what it's connected to.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ah I see, I only asked if it was a bios as it has a version number but I'd imagine that's more like firmware, I will check in the rocket setup to see if that has an option for AHCI.

When I reset the bios both drives connected to the rocket are referred to as IDE in the boot sequence menu so that needs looking at.

It all worked fine before so I'd imagine the AHCI controller has gone down the pan.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Looking at the 620's Specs I think it's only setting is ahci.

Is there a way to check in windows what the drive is running at, as the mobo bios is reffering to the drives as ide in the boot sequence menu.