1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware CM Storm Resonar Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 22 Oct 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

82% and approved?

Yet you say the sound isn't very well balanced, and the microphone is not fit for purpose. Surely a microphone that is only useful when held up to the mouth isn't useful at all. Something hands-free has to be able to be used free of hands right?

So does the 82% ignore the microphone, or would you be giving a much higher score if the microphone worked correctly?

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I thought the same actually... The score must be based mostly on the sound, but even then they say it isn't great...

On a related note, am I the only person that can't stand these type of headphones that go right down your ear? I much prefer the older style that went in your ear but not right down it...

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It seemed maybe a little high, but mostly right imo.
    Pros
    • Adjustable bass
    • "they feel great"
    • Flat cable
    • Splitter included
    • Sound good, if a little bass centric

Cons
    • mic too quiet
    • less well defined bass than E10s

Things to remember, most gaming headsets are more bass centric that your standard headphones, so it's not surprising that these are the same. And they're £30, you're not going to find well balanced 'perfect' headphones for that price. I'm pretty sure neither the CM300 or the E10s are balanced headphones, but they are probably the some of the better headphones you can get at that price, at least they were when I was looking to buy a couple of years back.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2014
  5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Yeah, the Sennheiser CX 300-II earphones have been my musical companions of choice for years. There's no mic, but I don't need one, and for £25-30 they're awesome. They do tend to break pretty easily, but it's usually within the two year warranty, so I just get them replaced and buy a new set when the replacement inevitably breaks. Must be on my fifth by now, but they fit my ears perfectly and sound great so I'll just keep on buying...

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately CM Storm doesn't state the microphone as being hands-free. As such, the need to lift it to your mouth to make things clearer (which I see a lot of people doing with these types of earphones anyway) isn't something we can mark it down too much on. We did mark it down a bit because of this but there's less of an emphasis on the microphone here because it's a pair of earphones and not a headset.

A headset you'd likely buy for a decent in-you-face microphone that allows you to speak to friends in games etc. So if these issues presented themselves with a headset, it would get a panning, so the score here is weighted more on sound and comfort, but it loses a couple of points here as well for reasons mentioned in the review. It's a gaming-centric headset though, so that said, while in some types of music it's a little unbalanced, in games and bass-dependent music it sounds very good for the price which is why it got an award.

The fact they include a microphone is useful for the odd short chat, but I don't think you'd buy the Resonar to replace a headset for microphone use - just for something smaller to carry around for listening purposes only. It's highly unlikely you'd ever find a set with a microphone decent enough to compete with even basic headset ones.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe you guys just have your ears in the wrong place. :D

Move them up your head a bit and the mic would be closer to your mouth, either that or move your mouth down a bit. :p

8. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

Just one small point: You lie down; you don't 'lay' down. :)

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

SoundMAGIC's E10 can be picked up for less than £15 very regularly on various offers, and the newer version is much nicer to look at and more robust since they started braiding the cable - so I can't see these being 82% at twice the price?

Tags: Add Tags