1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Can I control... With an Aquaero?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeDaly, 30 Mar 2013.

1. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Hey guys, been thinking about getting an Aquaero for a while now, the thing is I need it to
    control;

9 fans
    1 D5
    2-4 Temperature sensors

Is this possible with the lt version? not to fussed on the look of the screen as I don't think it will match my case :)

I am going to watercool the Aquaero just wanting to know if I will need to buy any power adjust 2 modules or anything else?

Also any recommendations on where the best place to buy this in the UK will be?

Thank you in advance, Luke.

2. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Hi mate,

I've got my xt (same as lt but with screen) running 11 fans and a poweradjust running a 18w ddc. I use 2 inline temp sensors and 2 probes. All runs perfectly, if the fans are running at low speeds for a long time it does get a little hot but currently mine is not under water (I will when I get round to it) so it will be fine when it is.

I would recommend you run your pump on a power adjust to be sure though.

I bought all mine from specialtech who I had no problems with would recommend.

I can say though I love the whole set up

Hope this helps.

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

Not all fans are created equally... some draw only a fraction of an amp, others chomp through several amps (if you're into extreme air cooling)

Maximum current 1.65A - so it can't run my three fans on full... but then I never do 2.19A

Your fans will either give you their current, or their power - if the latter then divide by 12 to get the current - and a D5 is a 23/25W pump so draws 1.92-2A.

9 fans - maybe
    4 sensors - yes
    D5 - no

4. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Hey man thanks for the response, I could just power the pump using molex and plug the PWM pin into the Aquaero? Surely that would work? Honestly I keep the fans at about half speed all the time. (Think that will be ok if I run it under water?)

Hey man thanks for your response also :thumb: the fans I am using are

8x http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/P...0rpm-Red-LED-Double-Blade-120x25mm_20616.html

and

1x http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/BitFenix-Spectre-PRO-200mm-Red-LED-Fan-Black_33738.html

also I was thinking of the method in the replie above for the pump?

thanks for your help :)

5. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

If that is possible on a d5 then I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just so you are aware, the aquaero only has 4 channels, one of which is pwm. So I guess that would mean all of the pwm fans and the pump would be on the same channel, I would guess that's too much.

6. asura

asura jack of all trades

So your nine fans come to 3.93A if they're all drawing their maximum. Therefore even at half cycle you'll be pushing it beyond its design spec. If you put their heat sink on it, then you can push it further, and if you watercool it even, even further.

Ahhhhh... the spec I was reading wasn't a complete one - it's 1.65A per channel! and in fact running the fans at half cycle is more work for the controller than at 12v

Read this. Yes. All of it!

Also which variation of the D5 - there are power only and you vary the speed with a little red dial on the back - there are power and tach which is much the same except it outputs a tach pulse to give you the r.p.m. of the pump though you still control it with the little red dial - and there are the very fancy aquacomputer ones that control the speed using an aquabus, and have a tach signal.

All variates of the D5's are powered by molex.

7. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Ok I had a read at that (actually a really good review)
    Not to fussed on weather I can control the pump its more the fans but I guess I may as well add the pump in if im doing the rest! :) How many Power Adjust 2 will I need if I run all fans at half speed?

Thanks for all the help btw :)

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

The only D5s that can be properly controlled automatically are this one and this one whilst it is possible to lower the voltage of a pump to control it, such processes are not recommended, their electronics are rather more complex than a typical fan and you can impact the MTBF.

Probably just the one power adjust 2, they rate them at 2A, though with a fan blowing on the heatsink (optional extra with the lt) or the waterblock (optional extra with any aquaero) you probably wouldn't need any - if you have or can get/make fan splitters that can take the necessary current. However the heatsink passively won't handle that current. People have reported running 4D5's off a watercooled aquaero, so that's circa 100W or about 1/2 the power of your fans - at a guess lets say that the heatsink with a fan will dissipate heat at 1/2 the rate of the waterblock, that'd probably still manage all your fans and if it overheats then it'll cycle its self to avoid damage - it's a smart piece of kit.

Re-read your OP:
    You're fine running all that! No problems, just be sure to split it up with no more than four fans per channel. You could even re-wire the second D5 to run off channel 4...Have fun!

9. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Thats fine, the pump doesnt really make that much noise anyway.

So if I water cool the Aquaero I could go for,

Port 1 - 2 Fans
    Port 2 - 2 Fans
    Port 3 - 2 Fans
    Port 4 - 3 Fans

all at around half speed just fine?
    and yeah I can buy or make splitters fine.

My D5 is the one with the little dial on the back for adjusting speed, just forget about doing it unless I buy a PA2?

Thanks again asura :)

10. asura

asura jack of all trades

Ok, just checked the datasheet for a 5H11G power-fet, max power 20W so theoretically nobody should be powering D5's (23/25W) from them. It's not a massive issue, but the silicon will (probably) degrade faster than if kept at/under 20W, it depends what margin of safety ON has built into them - not 15/25% I'd imagine... but then again I don't think anyone there envisioned them being watercooled either...

The phobya fans you linked to are 5.4W each so up to 3 fans per channel to stay within spec., up to four fans if you don't mind pushing the silicon beyond its design envelope (over clocking/volting anyone?) And again, no D5 if you want to play things by the book, or you can hook it in too if you'd like, it's been proven to work in the short/mid term.

I'd probably go for something like this:

C1 4*Phobya Nano-2G
    C2 4*Phobya Nano-2G
    C3 1*BitFenix Spectre PRO
    C4 Free - for the moment... PWM D5/DDC in the future...

11. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Ok thanks for all the help man :D ill report back after I make my order :)