1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows DisablePagingExecutive and SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BadHead, 6 Sep 2014.

1. BadHead

BadHead Minimodder

I've recently heard about a registry modification where you can store all the windows core in RAM rather than on disk, This involves changing a registry key called DisablePagingExecutive. From what I've read the performance boost is negligible, if any.

However, if the Windows OS is on an SSD, saving the core in RAM rather than having it write back and forth onto disk all the time sounds as though it might just prolong the life of the SSD - in theory anyway.

Is this correct?

BTW I have 32GB of RAM and so there is little chance of my running short in it. However, I do use Photoshop and I do a lot of Video editing, which both take up quite a bit of memory. Could this cause issues?

Thanks in advance.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Like most so called performance tweaks DisablePagingExecutive won't do anything to improve performance, and unless you happen to frequently use all of your 32Gb ram it won't do anything to prolong the life of a SSD.
    http://www.tweakhound.com/2011/09/20/bad-tweaks/

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Corkey42 cannot be more right.

To add: the great majority of tweaks talked about related to RAM and SSD are complete myths, and many affects your Windows experience, and provides 0 benefits, including if you use benchmark tools.

In addition, Microsoft knows what they are doing. They hire only the best of the best engineers under it's Windows tea,m core OS section with great number of years of experience. One wrong step, and the company can be ruined (example: the kernel starts failing or have a bug that affects user data, like delete everything by mistakes with no chance of recovery). All to say, they know what they are doing.

4. BadHead

BadHead Minimodder

Thanks very much for the replies - they pretty much stated what I thought. I'll give this a miss and just let Windows keep doing what's been doing.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2