1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Western Digital Blue Or Black For Gaming/Boot Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stylo, 8 Oct 2014.

?

Western Digital Blue Or Black For Gaming/Boot Drive?

1. 1TB Blue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1TB Black

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Stylo

Stylo What's a Dremel?

1TB Blue $60
    1TB Black $80

The 1TB drives will house Windows 8.1, games, photos/documents, and some applications. Should I save the money on the Blue?

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Neither, if it's a boot drive invest in a SSD.

hierax likes this.
  3. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

I do have 2 640 blacks in a steam machine chugging away so its fine as a boot drive

The black should be more reliable

I would get a smallish 120gb ssd for the system amd the black for your other stuff

4. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

+1 to this option

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Voted but I agree with the above. I have an 840 pro 128 GB as my boot drive and then a 1 TB WD as my storage drive and its a great combo.

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

SSD all the way, there is always some good ones second hand in the market place up for grabs.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Black are a bit faster, and more reliable than Blue. Assuming you have no drives. I would get an SSD (120GB) and a 1TB Blue drive.
    SSD you put your OS, and you can put your programs as well, and currently playing games, and the HDD you use for your personal data, videos, pictures, etc.

If you can afford a 256GB SSD the better, you can put more games inside. Don't get anything bellow 120GB at the moment of this posting, because:
    a) it's not worth the price for the capacity
    b) It's slower than the larger sizes, and rarely sent to reviewers
    c) You'll be tight in space
    d) You can put Windows, and that is about it, making your computer boot fast, and it stops there. Your programs won't take advantage of, so it will feel slow once in Windows, and startup programs will slow your account loading.

8. Stylo

Stylo What's a Dremel?

Note:

I will not be buying an SSD.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

If you're dead set against buying a SSD then the WD Black would be better. In terms of performance it will be slightly better than the Blue but still massively slower than a SSD. Also, as GoodBytes said, it should be more reliable. Well worth the extra $20.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Buy the black then - I have used both fairly extensively and would say that the black is not only more reliable, but faster, too.

Just out of curiosity, why no SSD?

11. creative

creative 500rwhp

I will also jump on the ssd bandwagon!

Built 4 pcs now and all run an ssd for OS/programs and a normal drive for storage. I wont build them any other way now.

and as above... any reason why you dont want an ssd?

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I keep my system fairly lean, anything I don't use gets uninstalled. With that in mind I don't need huge storage capacity and use a pair of SSDs in RAID 0, Crucial M4 256GB each. Been using this setup nearly 2 years and it is still fast and reliable.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well the question was an option between 2 HDDs for gaming/boot drive. I can't give an opinion on either of those as I would only advise getting a SSD for a gaming/boot drive.

It's not being difficult for the sake of it, but for a gaming/boot drive your question is like asking how should I get into town, by walking or by bicycle, well neither, I'd suggest a car.

Considering your other thread is about dropping $2200 on a system you can squeeze an SSD in there and still have a 1TB storage option. If you don't then you may as well call yourself Achilles and start prodding yourself in the heel.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or move into civilization, I have never had a reason to even consider learning to drive.