1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Raising the compulsory schooling age (UK)

Discussion in 'General' started by bigsharn, 3 Sep 2008.

1. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I'm sorry, I just saw this on the news (and there's no topic already)...

Why do they have to raise the legal schooling age? there's no point, if people can't hack GCSEs they shouldn't have to do another two years in college so that they can fail once again...

It'll cost loads to train extra staff, so taxes will go up, the failure rate will increase, and anyone that has an A level/similar level certificate will immediately be pushed aside with all of the scum that managed to scrape through their A levels because colleges don't want their fail rate to go up so they push a few more people through, meaning that Higher Education actually means nothing in the real world

Our government sucks:( we should riot
    :) Sharny :)

(Wasn't sure if this was Education, Rant, or politics:p)

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

They're not being forced to do A-levels, it's vocational things such as construction, etc. A levels will will still be higher education.

3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

But a B-TEC is a vocational course (Which I'll have done 2 of by the time I finish education) so the rant's still justified... By A-level or similar I meant just that level of education

Sorry, should have explained that better

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It's justified because I don't want a bunch of idiots going to sixth form when they could be working and providing more for society and more from themselves.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I can agree with this. There should be a unified age of adulthood in this country, and it gradually looks like it's turning into 18. I'd be fine with compulsary education up untill that age - since children, lacking the right to vote, should not be allowed to work (and therefore have to be doing something).

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

yeah, that works for me too. :)

7. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

People under the age of 18 shouldn't be allowed to work?

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

No tax no vote. Since children are legally and morally unable to account for themselves, they shouldn't be given the right to decide where the country is going. That said, if they have no rights to vote they have a right not to be taxed. And since not taxing people who work just because they're kids would be nigh on impossible, the simplest solution is to just not allow children to work.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Children are taxed if they work, it just so happens the vast, vast majority of children (anyone under 18 for purposes of argument) don't tend to earn above £6000.
    Banning children from working and then forcing them a stop closer to university would be a disaster.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's not great for people like my gfs brother, he barely made it through his GCSEs, and her other brother barely made it through their A levels, there would have been no point forcing both of them to be in school for two more years.

11. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I think this is a bad idea, if the school leaving age is set at 18 then all the people who want to learn will have to put up with the people who don't want to be there which will make it a worse environment for everybody. And we're all taxed as children, VAT applies to everybody, its not supposed to apply to children's clothes but unless you're a midget you'll be paying it once you're 14.

Moriquendi

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I don't think people should be forced to stay in school or any other form of education for longer. It will increase costs and make things worse for the people who do want to be there.

On the subject of taxing people <18 and not letting them vote you could drop the voting age (which I think would be a bad thing) or you could not tax people (also bad) but issues here are not a good enough reason to keep people in education.

Just a quickie - at what age can you start claiming benefits/job-seekers allowance/whatever? Is it as soon as you leave school and are unemployed? Because if that were the case it may be cheaper to keep people in school, as people aged 16-18 are probably the least likely to be able to get a job.

Tags: