1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Which TV Help! £700-1000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thetrashcanman, 26 Nov 2012.

1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Well first post in a while, but finally able to afford some good technology :D

So at the moment I have a 32" LG somethingorother not sure of the exact model, its a good tv an all, reasonable picture quality, but it kicks out a horendous amount of heat, its quite fat, maybe 2.5/3" at its thickest point, and has an enormous edge to it.

So thinking of changing it to something nice and new, I've been looking at and really do love the Samsung UE40ES6900

That metal edge is gorgeous and the general look of the tv is great, I saw one in John Lewis and the picture quality seems to be pretty good as well.

So essentially what I'm looking for is a TV preferably something in the size of 40-42" something that's nice and thin, although most of the Samsung's/LG's and Panasonic's seem to be pretty thin anyway, minimal bezel area around the tv, also something that doesn't kick out as much heat as a nuclear reactor would be great, good picture quality, preferably for the lower end of my price range, but if the TV meets all the criteria then I would be prepared to go up to my limit, possibly a little bit more.

Cheers in advanced.

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I've been eyeing them up too. Look good for the money and a safe buy by the looks of things.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

4. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Cheers dude, very helpful :) anyone else got any opinions? Going to go to John Lewis tomorrow probably and get one.

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Depends what you're going to watch on the TV most of the time. LCD/LED screens are great for TV but not as good as plasma screens for films (deeper blacks etc)

When I was getting a TV ~7 months ago I ended up getting a Panasonic P50-ST50B (50" Plasma)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/au...d-lcd-tvs/panasonic-tx-p50st50-1083594/review
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50st50b-p50st50-201207041899.htm
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-p50st50_TV_review

comes out quite well in the reviews. It doesn't put out much heat, and it's quite thin.

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Worth pointing out that plasma TVs will always put out more heat than LCD TVs. On the other hand, I agree that contrast and overall picture quality is better with a plasma. I have a Panasonic plasma myself as well.

7. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

The Samsungs are great TV's if you're looking for Active 3D and great 2D picture quality. The 7 and 8000 series is even better picture quality if you can stretch to that, although the motion and voice control functions are completely broken. And the SMART TV features feel quite buggy.

8. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

DLP TVs still have the best picture and are generally cheaper than LED/LCD or Plasma. However, they are not as sexy, are bulkier, and need the lamps to be replaced every few years depending on usage.

Plasma TVs are a good middle ground because the picture is still good, and they are obviously slimmer than DLPs. However, as others have mentioned, they are generally warmer than LCD/LEDs

9. mm vr

That part is pretty expensive by the way. The lamps cost several hundred pounds.

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I have not seen a rear projection TV for sale in the UK for years.

11. Silent_Raider

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I recently bought a Samsung UE40ES6300. It's thin, looks good (imo), doesn't produce much heat and after a little bit of fiddling in the menus produce a very nice image. Would come in below your lower limit as well.

13. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Panasonic Viera TX-L42DT50B is a 42" IPS LED tv available at John Lewis. Comes in a £929. I must admit that i haven't actually seen it in the flesh, but i am interested in how well the IPS panel in it looks.

14. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I've got a Sony and a Samsung. The Samsung is great but the Sony quality is noticeably better

YEHBABY likes this.
  15. mm vr

All LCD TVs have IPS panels as far as I understand.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

17. Silent_Raider