1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks SMTP relay - using what?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Margo Baggins, 15 Jul 2014.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Hello,

one of my clients is a massive global company that do lots of internet things. I look after their UK offices - I am having a real headache trying to work out what is the best solution for this problem.

In their local office to me they have a couple of HP 400 family laser printers, one of which is a scanner. They use the scan to email function, When I installed these printers a few months back I set up to relay off one of their smtp servers out in the internet somewhere (I'm pretty sure it's in america - I look after the offices IT, I don't have any access or need any info on the companies IT/services etc. in a broader spectrum) as they have email services that they provide for customers and thus have quite a few relay servers. The problem is, the colour scans just do not work, you can sometimes get a single page to scan in the flatbed, but multiple pages will just time out using the document feeder, black and white works fine I'm guessing due to there being much less data going down the wire.

So ideally I need to set up something onsite that can relay the emails from the scanner, but then most of the things I can think of would just get flagged as SPAM maybe even before they get into the email system.

They have no servers on site, have considered putting a server here for a multitude of reasons but I doubt it would ever have exchange on it, so it's starting to look like it's going to be basically impossible to use their corporate email system for any email relay. Their exchange lives in the states.

Any one had to do similar before or have any ideas? You can plug a memory stick into the printer and do scan to USB, but no one wants to do that (Don't know why) and they can't have scan to network location because some of the stuff they scan is sensitive.

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Could you use the SMTP server that the ISP provides?

3. Margo Baggins

hmm I probably could, but I really want a box to do it onsite, as I'm fairly sure it will just timeout still with a remote server rather than a local one. I need to give it a go though.

And at the same time, i'm pretty sure a box onsite doing it would not get emails anywhere due to it being flagged as spam :D

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

What format and quality are the scans set to?

Wondering if the colour scans might be hitting the size limit of the mail server?

5. Pookie

Does your client use something like Message Labs? You could add the IP of your site as an outbound route and relay straight out?

6. Margo Baggins

I thought this, but they assure me there is no size limits on the server. As it's a HP400 it's a pretty cheap MFP (reletively speaking) so there isn't many options, 75, 150 and 300 dpi and either colour or black and white. Colour on 75dpi doesn't even work, but black and white works on any settings. But, I don't have access to their mail servers so I don't know this for truths.

I'm pretty sure they don't use message labs, I am not too sure of their email system as it all lives in america and is looked after by there internal IT.

7. Pookie

Ha Ha tell them to fix it :D

8. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Had a similar issues with voicemails here and ended up using AUTHsmtp which is working without issue (touch wood)

9. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Depending on how many users are using the scanner, can you setup scan to network locations for each member of staff, add these to the device address book and setup a shared folder on each staff members local PC HDD?

That should tick the no USB drive and confidential boxes?

I've done this for a few sites I support where the network connection to site is flaky on the best of days.

10. Margo Baggins

That's actually not a bad idea. It's only one person who needs to do the multipage scanning that the current setup doesn't allow - everyone else mainly uses the flatbed to do single scans, which works fine (Don't know why when you can't get 1 page through the document scanner without time out). Will run that past their IT and see if they are happy with that.