1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Dual Monitor vs. One Large Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jbehmoaras, 7 May 2006.

1. jbehmoaras

jbehmoaras What's a Dremel?

So I'm thinking of creating this new set-up in my room.

I wanted to have one large LCD TV in the 32" range and have a dual monitor set-up on my computer. The LCD TV and my computer would be connected if I wanted to play media from my computer and the LCD TV would also be connected to a cable feed.

But I have a question regarding the dual monitor portion. Is there any way to get a larger screen that works like a dual monitor without the divider in the middle. I'm assuming that most large LCD's cant do this because they dont have resolutions larger than 1300 or whatever. Is this a true assumption?

Otherwise Id rather have one widescreen that works like two monitors in one rather than having two seperate monitors for my comp. Is there any way to make this possible?

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

LCD TVs have way lower resolutions than their PC Monitor counterparts.

My advice is just to keep TVs away from normal PC use, showing media on them is fine though.

You can buy Widescreen monitors, but i dont understand why youd want to make it act like two seperate monitors?

3. jbehmoaras

well is there any way to have a dual monitor setup without two monitors, in other words, one large widescreen monitor with the resolution of two monitors side by side so that theer is no divider in the middle.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

A widescreen monitor is widescreen... so the resolution will be wider than a normal monitor anyway.

Do you want a monitor that is 8:3 but in a single monitor?

I really dont understand what you on about except for that?

5. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

The resolution isnt a software thing. Its restricted by the actual display. You cant have a higher resolution than the optimum resolution of the display. The aspect ratio wouldnt work anyway, as (if you could do it) you would have a 8:3 ratio.

For others: As far as I can tell he is trying to have twice the real estate on one monitor. Such as having 2 x 1024x768 work areas side by side on a single widescreen monitor.

6. jbehmoaras

you see dual monitor are obviously 2 seperate monitors as a result the two screens arent seamless as there is a divide in the middle of the screen that results from having two seperaet monitors. Is there any way to have one big wide monitor that have the funtionality of two monitors so you have a large workspace.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

yes a widescreen monitor like you said in your post :wallbash:

(ive put it in aspect ratio not resolution as the numbers make more sence)

dual monitors is two 4:3 screens together (8:3 to make it easy)
    widescreen = 16:9

NO MANUFACTURERS make 8:3 screens without a divide in the middle as it isnt a display standard.

Dual monitors or widescreen, thats you only choice.

8. jbehmoaras

I apreciate the smart comment which was clearly made by someone who doesnt know much about monitors. :wallbash: If you go to a store to purchase a wall screen, it will not double the width of the resolution so you can have two monitors in one and they generally top out in 1300's im asking if anyone knows of a monitor in the 2500 width range

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

did you not read my post?

10. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

i have seen monitors that have a very small frame around them, so smaller divider in the middle

but if your like me it will still bug you

11. jbehmoaras

atomic its ok you obviously dont know too much about monitors, and gbeeby have you found a solution to this problem anywhere

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I do know about monitors. You are getting monitors and TVs confused.

TVs generally go upto about 1366x768, whilst a Computer monitor will go much higher.

The 30" Dell for instance will do 2560x1600.

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Just to show I do know what im on about, I run dual 19" monitors at work and a widescreen at home (i prefer it over duals)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. jbehmoaras

I wish you had clarifyied that earlier because i have been looking for large computer monitors that still do not increase their resolution but im glad you pointed out one that did

15. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Widescreen monitor resolutions:

20" - 1680x1050
    24" - 1920x1200
    30" - 2560x1600

The Dell 2405FPW (24") is a great display if you cant quite afford the beastie that is the 30"!

Im upgrading my 2005FPW to the 2405 soon for the extra resolution.

ps.

;)

16. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

*pats Atmoic on the back*

It's ok - I understood you at least :duh:

17. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Phew wasnt me just being an invalid!

18. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Urm, unfortunately jbehmoaras, u are making no sense atall in what u are asking. Atomic has pointed out all your options, and yet u still say that he knows nothing. All u have to do is listen to atomic, he obviouly knows alot more than you about this topic.

As Atomic has pointed out it is impossible to get 1 widescren monitor that matches exactly with 2x15"/17"/19" monitors.

19. hllywood14

hllywood14 What's a Dremel?

as someone that used to work for DELL dare I speak the name all monitors are made and then housed in a dell case..mainly face plate..if you search well you can find a monitor with the same spec..that is alot cheaper...just my 2 cents.

20. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

tbh.. i could afford the 30, but chose the 24. It's too big for a desktop. Sitting at desktop distances the viewing angle difference between looking at one side then back to centre is so great, you actually see a difference in brightness. In order to get around this, you have to sit sao far away as make the whole point of having a big monitor redundant. Plus.. most people's desks dont allow you to place it far enough back.

2504 is ideal for desktop use, and I much prefer it over dual monitor set ups. If you game, duals are crap anyway, cos your cross hairs are hidden by the monitor bezles, and if you only use one for gaming, what's the point?

Tags: