1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WIFI SHARING

Discussion in 'Software' started by nichos, 28 Mar 2014.

1. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Hi,

if a granny annex next to a cotage is let & the tenant allowed to use the owner's broad band can he access the owner's PC/Laptop, interfere with it, read files e.t.c.?

2. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

In simple terms, unfortunately, yes. A VLAN will go some way to adding security, but is not impenetrable.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I the owner doesn't have any sharing enabled then I think the tenant won't be able to easily access anything the owner doesn't want him to.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'd also be concerned about what content the tenant might be downloading from the net??

It's your line so I'd imagine the buck would stop with you if he/she was doing something they shouldn't.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

What I would do if I was to make available a connection to someone else 'untrusted' is make a separate AP running something like ipcop that supports forcing a VPN connection service like private internet access and stick it on a different subnet to my personal network. This way it is both isolated from your personal systems and is using a vpn tunnel which theoretically your ISP can't monitor traffic on.

6. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

+1

This also give you plausible deniability should anything happen re external sources

7. nichos

nichos Minimodder

SOLVED

Thanx all, all these are beyond me so tenant will have to get his own B.Band.