1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Streaming - Any Hints and Tips?

Discussion in 'Software' started by adzc1987, 10 Jan 2013.

1. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Hey guys, i have been looking into doing some streams for a laugh, watching me and a mate struggle on dayz :D i didnt think the gaming section was relevant for this.

I have the xsplit broadcaster and normally stream to twitch.tv.

i5 3570K clocked at 4.1GHz
    12GB of 1600 RAM
    MSI GTX 560 Ti OC Fozr 2, 1GB
    Internet Upload is aprox 1.5Mb/s Download is around 17Mb/s

So on my old machine (i3 @ 3.05GHz) the FPS dropped badly in games. I now have the beefier CPU and i still get some issues, for example on BF3 i can play high with no issues without stream, if i attempt to stream my FPS drops to less than 30FPS, medium is a slight improvement but still not ideal.

So im looking for some hints and tips on effective streaming.
    Is my internet an issue here? The GFX? The software?

I ask as I mate from eve had a very inferior system to me (in all aspects) yet he could stream his LOL games in a very good quality, the only thing i can think different was he has better upstream as he was in the US.

Cheers

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I suspect it's your upload speed.

I think most people who tend to stream have atleast a 5Mb upload speed or even more.

If you want to do it though I would think dropping the quality that people can stream at may help, and also dropping the quality of the games graphics may also help.

3. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I had a sneaky suspicion it was the upload speed, as it was the only variable that had not changed, im sure my ISP can change it.

I dont fancy lowering my gfx :( the other thing is changing the stream res?

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Depends on who your ISP is as to whether they can change you upstream speed, because I know ADSL customers are limited not by the ISP but rather the distance they live away from there local exchange and how congested it is.

With Virgin Media the only way to get a increase on the upload speed is to go for a package that increases you download speed as well, because the upload speed on Virgin is limited to 10% of the download speed due to the Docsis platform they use, unless you get a business line installed in which case you can go for up to a 10Gb upload speed but business lines cost allot more because, you will always receive that speed.

As for the change to the quality that people can stream at, I am not sure if it's a setting you can change within the streaming software or not, I cannot remember which I used but I could limit it to 720p or 480p but I had it set to 1080p and had no issues but I only had, around 15 people trying to stream and they all did it at 720p.

adzc1987 likes this.
  5. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I recall when i signed up they limited the upload to 1.5Mb/s but they said i can request to get it increased. Im less than 500m from the exchange. Its O2s the works so its already the top package.

Ill ask anyway see what they say. When i was talk talk the upload barely got past 0.25Mb/s and same exchange lol.

6. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

So my ISP done something and im hitting 2Mb/s upload now. i also found a setup guide for xsplit, its a little out of date so couldnt follow all of it.

It spoke about setting a upload speed, i seemed to have this rather low so i think that was causing the FPS drops, it was at 600kb/s its now up at 1500kb/s and now dayz for example, is playable when streaming (there is still an FPS drop but its only very slight compared to the 10FPS i was getting).

Now however when i review my stream on twitch its very jerky....like 3-4 seconds of smooth watching me play, then it freezes an jerks on, i noticed it in other streams, is this just something you have to put up with?

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

If I can I will try Xslpit later on today on my Twitch TV channel if I can remember the details fot it.

If I can I will send you the link so you can look at it and see if it's smooth or not.

As I say I don't use streaming software so I am not 100% about what the best settings are etc.

8. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

dude, im doing loads of stuff with streaming at the moment, i can provide tons of help for you (bear with me if this post is fragmented, im at work....)

First stop.

THIS guide. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=231402&highlight=streaming+guide

bottom line is, you need dxtory and xsplit the full version of dxtory the better. also use the lagarith lossless codec on dxtory.

for the record, i stream at 720p 25fps (what xsplit free version allows) uploading at 3000kb/sec.

I also run a 14 slot dedicated left 4 dead 2 server (off a separate server pc) which streams music over a vent server that it also hosts (usually around 10 people in it) all within ~4.5mb/sec upload. this is while other users such as my g/f and brother use the net for general browsing usage.

DXtory is what you need tbh, it converts your gameplay to a "virtual cam" that you then import in xsplit then stream, with almost no knock on effect to your game. it also means you can choose your own codecs (2.54 or i prefer lagarith) for your output. defo check that thread out and the youtube video, it REALLY helped me get off the ground.

here is the most comprehensive xsplit guide ive came across so far http://www.apoctv.com/2012/04/guide-definitive-xsplit-guide-with.html

Theres also a chart (its actually an excel spreadsheet) on dxtory/xsplit which lets you see what res/fps you can stream at depending on your upload https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgrreMlF5qoRdGVXTlRmUzNlUGUxc2lvTjdTT240NWc#gid=0

heres a guide on how to stream at 640x480 at just 0.5mb upload. could use this and tweak to your upload rate/res?

http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread/375701/GUIDE-Xsplit-settings-for-slow-upload/

this link may also help if youre very tight for upload bandwidth http://www.xsplit.com/blog.php?post_id=279

good luck, i found it just takes a bit of tinkering. also, when testing your stream, call up a friend and get them to tell you what its like/use a different pc to view the stream, i found streaming and trying to play the stream on the same pc showed a choppy video in the internet browser, when infact the stream to others was smooth

Last edited: 14 Jan 2013
    adzc1987 and damien c like this.
  9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Nice post, seems you can help the OP out allot more that I can.

Just looked at Xsplit and DXtory, but at the moment I cannot pay for a license so I will bow out of the thread but keep a eye on it.

@adzc1987

Good luck and take up bigc90210's advice as it seems they know what they are on about.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

adzc1987 likes this.
  11. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

dxtory is the best thing since sliced bread for streaming, for the streamer, words cannot describe how good it is.

Im currently looking to create an "instant replay" for my live left 4 dead 2 streams, so that i can click a button on my mouse, and it switches scenes in xsplit, which then shows the last 10 seconds of the game in the bottom right hand corner while the game is running live.

The existing solutions ive found arent very good. The 2 ways ive considered doing it are:

method 1: having 2 streams, 1 thats live, then 1 thats 10 seconds late. that way, all it does is show the delayed stream.

Problem: cannot figure out how to delay the stream by 10 secs without delaying the live stream also.

Method 2: Use fraps' loop buffer feature to dump the last 10 seconds of footage to disk, then get xsplit to pick it up and read it.

problem. fraps names the files differently each time, either need xsplit to pick "any file in the dir" or a directory monitoring tool to rename the file. so far neither has worked.

il be sure to post here once ive worked it out.

C

12. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

@Bigc90210 (i dont think Newcastle is as glamorous as Beverley hills! lol ;) )

That is some sweet info, that dxtory sound like it will be mega useful. Ill prob get a chance to play around on Weds now that overtime at my work was pulled lol.

Aye i have an eve corp mate who plays with me, i have asked the others who arent playing to check it out etc.

Thanks a lot!

13. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

YW. Newcastle is as glamorous as a turd rolled in glitter :)

14. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Ok, been messing around followed the guide from bigc.

And i think im ok to stream a half way decent way now :)

My next issue is my mic....

Currently it picks up all audio, the push to talk button in dxtory works on the local record. But when i broadcast via xsplit it picks up everything.

Xsplit has a push to talk button but i cant map this to my mouse keys (i use mouse 3/4, i would map it to 4 if i had to pick one.).

I thought by disabling the mic/muting it on xsplit would help as then the sound would go via dxtory, but i dont think it works, i think i can hear myself speak VERY quietly, i cant get the mic any louder!

15. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

I also encountered this issue. Will post how to fix it when i get in from work and double check my settings.

off the top of my head, im pretty sure disabling the mic altogether on xsplit and purely using DXtory's Push to talk or open mic (depending on which one you want) is the solution.

if the above doesn't sort it, il have another look.

note: Disabling the mic in xsplit is not the same as having it enabled but muted/the volume on 0

16. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I tried that, but im extemley quiet on the video, that quiet i cant tell if its background noise or me! I have noticed that mobo soundcard is extremley weak for my mic.

I do have a soundblaster xi-fi card, but as i cant have both my speakers and headphones plugged in at same time i dont use it yet. I need to get a splitter thing for it.

The mics volume is all the way up in windows/dxtory/mobo sound software and xsplit and the mic boost is at +30db, when i try my mic on soundblaster i actually have to turn it down, so i wonder if that will sort it.