1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSP screen mod? can it be done?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by HaVoK, 10 Dec 2008.

1. HaVoK

HaVoK Mad Dude ;)

Hey guys I'm new to posting on bit-tech.net. I have a question ... Is it possible to mod a PSP screen into a desktop case or even just a second monitor? I've been seeing the old PS1 screen being modded into cases. I have an old bricked PSP and i want some use from it rather than a paperweight.

I've been looking around for a while but haven't come across anything useful yet so i figured ill ask you guys :D

Thanks for any info fellas,
    Much appreciated

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

3. popotheflyingpanda

popotheflyingpanda What IS a Dremel?

Hmm... I remember a mod that used the whole psp connected through usb to display w/e but since yours is bricked....i dont know
    What are the projects you saw the mod on? and did they have a log some where?
    I may want to use this b/c I have a psp i dont use (but its not bricked :D )

4. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

5. HaVoK

HaVoK Mad Dude ;)

I pulled the PSP apart last night and got the screen out, this is what I'm wanting to mod into two drive bays.
    these are the pics of the screen ...
    [​IMG]
    it says Sharp LQ043 K3146 on the bottom of the screen if that's a help guys.

6. popotheflyingpanda

popotheflyingpanda What IS a Dremel?

blarg. that's a sticky situation, I don't think you can run a screen w/o at LEAST the psp mother board, i could be wrong, but i poked around a bit and you need the whole psp to run the screen.
    if you want a screen you could try the ps one portable screen or the like, ben heck has used them for many projects, but I'm sure you wanted to use the psp screen b/c you had it ... well good luck

7. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

You need the LCD controller for the screen, chances are is the controller is part of the PSP motherboard.

that's the only way to get it working.

8. HaVoK

HaVoK Mad Dude ;)

yer mate i was thinking of getting that PSP working again somehow and doing it that way just wire it all into the computer PSU.

BUT still fellas if i can do it just by the screen without the actual PSP components (m/b etc) that would be great ... It's bricked so all i have is the screen :(

UNLESS if there is a way of soldering straight onto the PSP's motherboard LCD?

here's the pictures of the motherboard

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anybody can tell me where 2 get some schematics of the motherboard i might be able to figure something out ...

Sorry to any one who disagrees about a PSP post on bIt-tech.net but hey it is for a computer case mod :D

and again ... thanks guys

Last edited: 11 Dec 2008
  9. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

Not to steer you away from this incredibly friendly and useful forum, but you might also ask about your project on a forum dedicated to PSP modding:

http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?board=361.0

The denizens of those boards tend to be friendly and helpful, too. If you receive information there which changes your approach or solutions, please be sure to tell us about it here!

It seems to me that, since the majority of members are modders, they'd have to have pdf'd schematics lying about to check their own work. I can't imagine you'll go hungry in that respect.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2008
  10. HaVoK

HaVoK Mad Dude ;)

cheers mate will do :D

11. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

12. HaVoK

HaVoK Mad Dude ;)

Good work mate i wouldn't have let the opportunity slip away either ... good interview

13. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

HaVoK: Whatever happened with your project?

14. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

Answer to the question "can it be done?" is yes.

You can see some pictures of a USB interface board for a compatible display here:

http://mylcd.sourceforge.net/libmylcd/usbd480/index.html

But to make it all yourself might need quite a lot of electronics knowledge. The datasheets for the displays are available and that should be the first place to start from when thinking of connecting the display to something.

15. identikit

identikit Minimodder

16. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

god there is so much custom code work that needs to be done whit those. i hate writing code! but i want that controller so bad