1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Theory of Everything. Dec. 21st. End of the world? Have some final pics. :-)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 29 Oct 2011.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

You thought you got rid of me when I didn't win MOTM for my CarPC, didn't you? :lol:

I'm back! :)

Since all the plans for this mod has changed, I decided to put in the specs of the hardware that is going into it.

P67 Sabertooth
    I5-2500K
    8GB Corsair memory
    580 GTX Gainward 1.5GB GFX

I havn't gotten the case yet, but waiting for it. I'm getting a couple of little things for the article I wrote for Custom PC Magazine, and amongst those I'm getting a Fractal Design Refine R3. This will be used for this mod. I have no idea of the color of it, but I know what I'm hoping for! *cough* white *cough*

It's not going to be an insane mod, just a couple of little things here and there.

I havn't worked out all the small querks out yet, but the idea is as follows:

Custom watercooling. (I'm guessing that's kind of required on my part by now) :lol:

Custom CPU block. (started that)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Custom Reservoir. (This is going to require some heatbending in the oven again)
    Custom pump housing.
    1 x 120mm radidator for the CPU.

I don't know what to do about the NB and SB for now. She's using the pc, and she knows I'm going to do something to it, but has no idea what!

Since she's in school and crazy about math and physics, I'm going with the theme of "The Theory of Everything". I'm going to paint decals of equations from Quantum Physics, String Theory etc. on it. ( Afaik String Theory is not combineable with The Theory of Everything as such, but they have some cool equations so leave me alone! :lol: )

Since my own pc needs a graphic upgrade soon, I'm going to put 1 or 2 9800gtx+ gfx cards in there. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'm going to keep the waterblocks on the gfx(s).

Now, the cool part about this mod is going to be the DVD drive. I'm going to keep it a secret untill I get the whole thing worked out, but I'm going to drop a lot of hints for it! :)

First I needed an old dvd drive. Cut out the pieces I need:

[​IMG]

Sprocket didn't fit with my plans:

[​IMG]

I need this to be lined up as well as possible, so thin plastic is not going to cut it. Measured up the housing and made it in aluminum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted the sprockets. Seems I still know how a caliper works, all the measurements fits perfectly! :) :

[​IMG]

Pushed the end piece onto it, just for a look:

[​IMG]

This is where I am now. I would love to get this done by X-mas, so let's see how things work out. I need some help from guys at work with the electronic side of this, as I have no idea of what I'm doing. I know how to blow a fuse in my appartment by putting my hands in the PSU, and that's about it! :lol:

I also ordered a Passive InfraRed sensor, that should arrive in a couple of weeks. Hope it will work with my plan.

I hope you will be patient as this is going to take some time! :)

Last edited: 21 Dec 2012
  2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I have LOTS of patience. Accumulated over several decades of software testing.

Now I have something to watch AGAIN!

Good to see you are not idle.

john

3. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

4. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

That is some fine machining to start off with. :)

8 weeks = 1176 hours man you got lots of time :lol:

5. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Sweet custom watercooling again! Nice!

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Ok, I've pulled up a chair, got my coffee and I'm watching. Another Angel OD mod, much better viewing than the TV.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Yes, i shall be watching this one :D

8. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Comfy chair... check.
    Cyprus coffee... check.
    Beers for the night... check.
    CNC awesomeness... check.

Now let the show begin!!!

9. L1U

L1U Minimodder

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

After the first pic, I was: YEEEEEES
    I think I have a thing for pics of metallparts in a lathe, or It could be that I knew it was another Angel OD project

Nice to se you're back, been waiting way too long;)

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Ty very much sir! I shall do my best to give you something to look at! :)

Some of us knew that before Siri started telling people! :brrr:

Yeah, I just wish I had the workshop in my backyard! :)

Ty! :)

Hope you like what you see! :)

Damn... I hope you like waiting! :lol:

Rome wasn't build in a day, and this unfortunately wont be build in a night! Save some beer for later updates! :thumb:

Yeah, I've been a lazy basterd lately! :lol:

12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

So, on with the show! :)

We've been pinned down with work the last couple of weeks. Between working 12-13 hour days a couple of times, and getting my mods ready for the BEEP 2011 show, I havn't had time to work on this little baby. But that's all done, and I'm ready! So I stayed a bit after work yesterday, and got there early this morning as well! :)

This:

[​IMG]

...was put in the mill:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The channel is then done, and the groove for the O-ring is milled. Check. :)

While the mill was taking care of itself, I made a small aluminum part that goes in the CPU block:

[​IMG]

Cut and turned:

[​IMG]

And what I see as the most important part was the next thing!

When milling was done I got a fast look at the pattern through the coolant, and I actually froze for a second as I thought It had milled the parts that was supposed to stay in there! :lol:

No worries, It came out as I had hoped for! :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now! I hope I have made you wonder even more about the finishing result of this! :lol:

Oh... I almost forgot! I also received a small package containing a PIR sensor... Time will show what that is for! :)

Right now I'm just waiting for the parts from Custom PC Magazine, but I'm not worried that I have nothing to do atm! :lol:

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Holy hell that is beautiful work!

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Dude! You started a new log and no one called me!:lol: -Looking massively awesome so far. I can only guess that you are weaponizing the DVD eject system at this point. Maybe a clay pigeon fling arm for movies you didn't like?

15. bulldogjeff

I would have thought Frenkie would be the one to fit a DVD launcher, if the rest of that weapon of mass destruction is any thing to go by.

Looking good by the way angel, another beauty in the making.

16. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

You know, it's quite disappointing that your work using a CNC doesn't get nearly the responses as others (*cough*) using regular tools.

Fine designs and work, my friend.

17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Thx a lot m8! :)

Sorry, it won't happen again! :)

I aim at massively awesome this time! ;)

As usual, your guess is close! But still a bit far... I guess... :lol:

Thx man! This thing better end up a beauty, since that would fit my GF perfectly! :)

(nope, she doesn't read this, so I'm not sucking up! :lol:

Well... I wish it got more attention, but on the other hand it must be that people have gotten used to my stuff now so they just think "Meh, another Angel mod" :lol:

Thanks a lot! Still struggeling with the rest of the design. I'm not used to keeping to one theme, so this is a bit more difficult than normal! :)

18. bulldogjeff

I've pretty much never followed any sort of plan when I'm modding. I have a god idea of what i want to do and then just go with the flow. I get a picture in my head and then I bring it to life. it's the same with the paint, I look at what I have in front of me and the the colour scheme just happens.

19. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Purrdy CNC work. Very interesting top for the block. MMm dunno what else to say... :lol:

Oh yes... What starts with "G" and ends with "5"?? when you figure it out, go figure out what I'm trying to say. :p

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Dunno about painting, but besides that I feel exactly the same as you! Got a plan in my head and run with it. But on this one I'm really gonna try to stick with the theme "Theory of Everything" - My way! :)

Thanx a lot! :)

Well... I have two ideas... Either YOU got one, or you want me to finish my own! :lol: