1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, for the uninitiated...

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Bogomip, 23 Apr 2009.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

What is a custom PC folding ? Im confused as to this forum. Countdown of CPU's ? is that like "name 1000 unique CPUs" ? :S

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It's for where this will all move to.

It's our team for the folding@home project

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Do the multi-core CPU clients still require your PC to have a username and password?

I tried folding a while back, but lost interest when I found that out :(

Ninja Edit - GPU client works okay, as long as I'm playing music to drown out the high pitched coil noise... ;)

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

You can setup multiple machines under one username badders. I think there is a machine id you can setup in the config.

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Nono, I mean that the Multi CPU client required your windows user profile to have a password to be able to use it - vastly overcomplicates everything then.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Oh sorry I completely misread your post.

7. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Yes, unfortunately the multi-core CPU client does require a Windows user account and password. The Linux version doesn't though if that helps.

8. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Not with the Linux client. Don't know about Window$.

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You could use the VMWARE player & SMP folding image to get around it.
    Or just set your machine to autologin with your password.

10. CyberpowerUK

CyberpowerUK Cause & Effect

Yeah - in case you get a reset for whatever reason (updates perhaps) then you can use:

control userpasswords2

from the run/search prompt and setup auto login for a user

Mike

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

*cries* :sigh:

This is what I meant when I said that CPC + Bit tech was a win win a few weeks ago though, we get to introduce so many more people to things like the F@H project, and hopefully to team 35947 ;)

12. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Looks like it's time to reinstall FAH and update my sig.

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

This does not answer my questions, if one of the stickies answered my question as to "what is this?" then I wouldn't not know what it is :) All the stickies are just copied over, thus I dont know what it is!

14. Unicorn

If you still don't know what it is, then you are either completely uninterested in learning what it is, completely lazy or just plain stupid. Ever heard the phrase "Google is your friend"?

http://folding.stanford.edu - Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

I mean, it's not difficult :duh:

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Whats a "google" ?

Thanks, I didn't realise I have to search for "folding@home" - I searched for "folding team", "custom pc folding"... etc. Sure I could have searched harder, but TBH this has just infiltrated my regular forums, why is there nothing describing what it is? Its only not difficult if you know the context, which I didn't.

Interestingly I got into "folding" again just the other day as I installed the SETI client which I believe is the same as this thing... had to uninstall it again though as despite me telling it when to use my processor and how much, it just used whatever it pleased all the time.

16. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Folding@home and SETI are only similar by virtue of the fact that they are both distributed computing projects.

SETI's aim is to analyze deep space radio telemetry in the hope of finding signs of extra-terrestrial communication.

Folding@home's aim is to discover how proteins fold in order to do basic research into a number of diseases including Alzheimers, Huntingdon's, Influenza and a number of cancers.

17. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

I believe it's a 1 with quite a few 0's behind it...........

18. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Well tbh I think my (lulz JG :p) folding team will be 'super awesome and stuff' now it incorporates Bit-Tech dudes as well. When we started it we didn't really think we'd ever get to 5th place worldwide.

With Bit readers added to the mix even the first slot isn't entirely out of reach. :rock:

I would fold but... :nono:

19. Unicorn

Is that you Josh?

At present my concerns lie nowhere near getting to first place, the 2.4 month away threat of OCN is much more of a worry than even attempting 1st place.

And why won't you fold? We need every point we can get :(

20. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Yep. :)

Well there's always threats, that's how it goes. There were threats when the team was at rank 10, and now it's at 5. A minor push from bit, perhaps an article on GPU folding or something, and then onwards and upwards. It especially helps getting a load of new blood from the bit forums involved.

I can't fold because it's killed every PC I've folded on, and I'm cheap. ;)