1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Classic FPS/RPGs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CardJoe, 21 Oct 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

So, after finally getting my new PC working at home I'm after some decent FPS/RPG hybrids or some decent game from either genre to play. I've already ruled out most of the obvious (Deus Ex, Far Cry, BioShock, System Shock, NOLF 1 and 2, Baldurs Gate, Planescape, Fallout etc) due to having played them all to death and I'm not really interested in COD or UT at the moment.

I like games with a fair amount of sniping or spy/stealth action involved and I don't care how old the game is. I just want something to keep me entertained over the weekends and, since I've ruled out most of my games I thought I'd open it up to suggestions.

Well?

2. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

Delta Force and Vampire: The Masquerade were my favourites for ages. DF was great for sniping; and VTM I just liked for the story and gameplay. Also spent many hours playing Team Fortress Classic online, always as a sniper coz I wasn't really that great but loved the head-shots :)

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I don't mean to be a smartass, but you'd best specify what VTM game you're talking about - We can assume you mean Bloodlines, since it's the most recent, but there was another VTM RPG released before that, by the name of Redemption.
    VTM is a whole Pen & Paper franchise, not just one recent game. :)

You've probably already played any of the RPGs that I could recommend, Joe, so here's a few other recommendations that I can think of, though they don't all fall into the FPS-RPG, FPS, or RPG genres:

-The Legacy of Kain Series [Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, Defiance] - Compelling Story, fun gameplay and exceptionally good voice-acting.
    -Clive Barker's Undying (Good game, badly-voiced main character though: Why can they never hire an Irish person to do an Irish accent?)
    -X3: Reunion (A Space Exploration/Combat/Trading simulator which has a steep-ish learning curve but is great fun and will suck you in for months on end)
    -Omikron: The Nomad Soul (Quirky French Action/Adventure/RPG from the late 90's -- Very strange in parts, but an excellent game overall. And it's got David Bowie in it, too)
    -Soldier of Fortune 2 (Aside from the gore, there's a half-decent shooter in here too, with enemy AI that was exceptional at the time and could be considered competent even now)

More when I think of them!

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Off the top of my head, here are some of the games I thought were great in no particular order (i've prob missed loads):

HL1 & 2 & E1/E2 (worth replaying the source version...and play it on hardest this time eh)
    SOF2
    BioShock
    Deus EX
    VTM:R
    Company of Heroes
    KOTOR (1&2)
    System Shock 2
    Black & White
    Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    Max Payne
    Far Cry
    Mafia
    F.E.A.R.
    Starcraft
    Warhammer 40,000: DOW
    Football Manager 06/07/08
    C&C - all of um :p
    Startopia - massively underated
    Civ 2/4 - 2 was the best in my opinion, but 4 aint bad
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Overlord
    Dungon Keeper 2 (we want 3 dammit!)
    Theme Hospital (rip Bullfrog)

Should keep you Busy

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I second X3, never bothered to delve into the story but the game is great IMO (apart from starforce :() although it's not really FPS or RPG.

EDIT: I know it's an RTS, but everyone should play Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds

Last edited: 21 Oct 2007
  6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

One of the more recent patches removes the necessity for Starforce from X3. :D
    I love the guys at Egosoft - They remove the copy-protection from their games with official patches a few months after the game's release, just as a bonus to their fans.

7. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

Sorry Dude, I meant Redemption; I could never get into Bloodlines, but might install it again to kill some time.

8. CardJoe

Lol, unfortunately I've played every game you've listed with the exception of War of The Worlds, Football Manager (hate sport sims), Warhammer and X3. I did play the demo for X3, but I just couldn't get into it for some reason.

Bloodline is awesome and I guess it's something like that which I'm looking for. I'd play it again, but I can't be bothered to download all the fan patches to bring the game up to spec. I did own a copy of redemption a few years ago, but could never get it to work.

9. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

If you like(d) FarCry, be sure to check out Chrome.

It's pretty good.

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

No need for apologies :D
    I preferred Redemption too, personally. Bloodlines was far too bugged and unpolished for my tastes, and lacked Redemption's excellent Storyteller-mode Multiplayer.

I spent years working on an unreleased mod for Redemption. :hehe: http://www.zwod.net.tf (Sorry about the ads/popups, whatever other junk shows up)

Give X3 another shot, Joe! It's dirt-cheap on Steam now.
    When I first tried the X2 demo years ago, I couldn't get into it at all, but then I got a free copy of the full game with a 6600GT, I tried it out again and fell in love with it. It consumed a large portion of that year of my life, which is a hell of an achievement for a single-player game.

And then X3 game along and it all happened again. :hehe:

11. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Here ya go Joe. :thumb:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/patches/vampirethemasqueradebloodlines/patch.html

Patch 3.9 is cumulative of all the other unofficial releases (including the Histories patch). 4.1 and 4.2 are the most recent bug fixes but not cumulative (As far as I know. I haven't downloaded them yet).

I couldn't really get into Redemption. I had the disc but lost it (I have a problem with keeping up with Redemption, that copy was my 2nd one lol). I prefer Bloodlines more for some reason.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Anyone know if the fan patches work with the steam version of VTM Bloodlines?

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Hellgate: London. I like it a lot so far. It's really good. The demo is available. I've been playing the MP beta and it's pretty fun. I've only played Marksman and the dual blade class so far, but so far I'm liking the Marksman more. Last I played I was fighting some gigantic boss that killed me once, and when I respawned and finished it off, the game froze! Now I have to do it all over again.

14. CardJoe

Pfft, I settled for playing Veles at TF2 instead. Pwned him as the sniper :D. Dilemma avoided until next weekend when I have some more free time.

15. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Could do a lot worse than Oblivion. With a new rig it will run like a dream.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Prince of Persia Sands of Time or Two Thrones. Warrior Within has a horrible bug that messes your savegame up. I quickly gave up on it due to the fact I'd played it a bit then my savegame fudged. SoT is amazing and I assume Two Thrones can't be half bad.

17. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

Dungon keeper 2 i waited sooo long for dungon keeper 3 i loved taht game sooo much. But why o why did they ruin it by allowing cheats in multiplayer!

Also theme hospital was so funny :p i rember the first time i saw the bloaty head disease cracked me up so much :p

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Project I.G.I - I loved that game and still have it I think. Elite Force II if you like star trek.

19. CardJoe

Two Thrones is ...ok. The series wasn't planned as a trilogy I found out recently and the third game wraps things off nicely, but isn't as whimiscal as SOT was. SOT is easily the best, despite the combat.

I have Project IGI, but it's honestly quite awful. No sniper wobble, slow move speed, awful AI and medic packs. They took the worst parts of reality and gaming and mixed them together to make a 'realistic' military shooter. It's one of the few games I've played but never finished, although I didn get 3/4s of the way through.

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If you're looking for a spy-stealth type genre, you can't go wrong with Splinter Cell. Of the first three, I like number three the best, but they're all worth a go.

Tags: