1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Quite simple. Which board.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 7 Feb 2012.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

If all you're doing is FPS gaming, I'd just get the cheapest. Unless you need the added features of the more expensive ones, there's no real point. But then if you have the money, may as well get the Maximus IV.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks, I had an Asus P8P67 and it just did not do it for me same with the Gigabyte P67-DS3.I am currently using a GA-Z68-UD5 and it's hard to put my finger on it but there seems to be something missing.

I must admit I was leaning towards your suggestion.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Get the same board I have... Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 at about £137.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Any particular reason why?

6. noizdaemon666

Just to add on to my last post, I personally if I had the money, would get the Maximus IV as it seems an awesome board.

7. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

I have the Sabertooth and i must say it is extremely easy to use setup overclock and i have had 0 issues at all. About to watercool my rig and push things further and for the money i think the sabertooth is great.

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

What are you plugging into it? The three boards you have linked too are all different sizes.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Pardon? Not sure what you mean. They are all 1155 boards so will take my i5 2500K.Or do you refer to something else?

10. noizdaemon666

He's referring to physical size. The Gene-Z is mATX, the sabertooth is ATX and the Maximus is E-ATX. But I seem to remember you having a large case so all would fit. Though the Maximus would make it look the fullest.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The three boards are different form factors and sizes. mATX, ATX and eATX. They will have different amount of expansion slots and layout. For example if you buy the mATX board and decide to go SLI all the slots will be covered and you wont be able to plug in anything else, such as a sound card. Will an eATX board fit in your case?

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yup,

Extremely stable, 5ghz with ease even on auto and it's not expensive. Great fan control with 3 x 4 pin pwm fan headers plus additional 3 pin headers too.

There's alos gen 3 PCIe if that's any use when Ivy comes.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Of course how stupid of me.

[QUOTEThe three boards are different form factors and sizes. mATX, ATX and eATX. They will have different amount of expansion slots and layout. For example if you buy the mATX board and decide to go SLI all the slots will be covered and you wont be able to plug in anything else, such as a sound card. Will an eATX board fit in your case?][/QUOTE]

Thanks for coming back. I had no thought to look at form factors, I have no need of an e-ATX so that lets the Maximus IV Extreme out or a m-ATX so thats the Maximus IV GENE-Z out so I am left with the Sabertooth.

As to my case i currently have the SilverStone FT02R-W which has to many design flaws for my liking, rubbish space for hiding the cables,the fact that the top lid is not hinged also the top lid has the braces covering A) the top exhaust grill making it a little tricky adding an extra fan for a push/pull effect and B) another brace that goes across the graphics card back plate making it difficult if you have an older type secondary monitor of fitting a dvi adapter to the GPU. So it is going. I am currently take with the Lian Li B25FWB but am still looking at cases.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Will have a look at that.Thanks.

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Thing is I decided a while back I am done with more expensive mobos. A good mid price mobo in my experience can be very good.

Stability and overclocking are the most important things for me. Ease of overclock as well.

16. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'd recommend the MSI P67A-GD53/55. Both are great boards and can take a decent 2500K up to 5GHz and beyond with no trouble at all. I assume the equivalent Z68 models are also great boards.

Not the largest set of option in the BIOS compared to the Maximus, but they have some of the best VRM's I've seen on a board(extremely cool running, even with high volts) and are cheaper than many competitors.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

18. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

i like my board. it has better heatsinks than the standard p8p67.

i have got my 2600k to 5ghz but i didnt want to keep it there 24/7

at 4.6ghz, it has been very stable. i have had 1 bsod since i bought it, but i think that was the ssd

this is also with he bclk at 103.5 and ram oc'ed

19. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

£120 at scan

20. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

What sort of voltages does auto put through it to get 5ghz? I tried it on auto to get 4.8ghz and it tried putting 1.6v through it! Im currently running at 4.8 with 1.38v