1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Simple Transformer ITX Mini HTPC Mod - The Intro

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TiTON, 9 Jul 2009.

1. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

[​IMG]

Hey Folks,

It has been a while since I did my last case mod. So I wanted to get back into the modding scene again. For this project, I wanted to create something I needed. With the recent Digital television transition now complete, we have a few older LCD TV that do not have ATSC tuner. We could purchase an ATSC tuner, but where would the fun be :p

Requirements:

For this case modding project, I will be designing and building a HTPC / Media Center PC from scratch. The HTPC will be in various parts of the house, so some key factors will be Size, Cooling, Noise, and Wire Management.

Size – The unit has to be relatively small. It has to be able to sit on a table top next to the television.

Cooling – Some room are small, so we do not want or need a space heater.

Noise – The unit has to be QUIET. We do not want to hear constant fan spinning or hard drive ticking.

Wire Management – We want to limit the number of wires and cables coming in and out of the computer. Keep outside clutter to a minimum.

Theme:

The Theme of the case mod need to be something simple and clean. The inspiration for the case modding project came from the latest block buster Transformers 2 movie.

I will be building two HTPC / Media center, one Autobot and one Decepticon.

If you are not sure how the Autobot and Decepticon symbols look like, check out below:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I will have some progress pictures of the mod posted either later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning :)

Note: This case mod will not transform or change. This is going to be a simple HTPC case mod that is built on functionality :) I might do a transforming mod later ;)

Till next time.

- Ton

2. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

WOOT! TiTON's back! :D Glad to see you back at the modding helm. So you are building TWO HTPC's? What have you decided on as far as components?

I've been contemplating downsizing my Mystique case, so this should be a good project to watch and learn! :)

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Hey Ton! Good to see you back! I'll be watching this with interest!

4. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Awwwww Mannnn! :(

It may be how I feel about that statement, but doesn't the autobot look sad?