1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Custom Build Mini PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bmezz19, 12 Oct 2010.

1. bmezz19

bmezz19 ...not a morning person!

Hey,

I'm looking at putting together my first Mini-ITX based pc, just wanted to check what people thought of my prospective components...

Silverstone SG05B Mini ITX Case (w/ 300W 80+ PSU)
    Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 Mobo
    Intel i3-560 CPU
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) RAM
    Sony AD-7700S-01 8x (Slim) DVD±R
    320GB Samsung HM320II Spinpoint M7 2.5" HDD

Looking at spending about £400, (this build is £402 incl delivery of parts) maybe a bit more but trying to keep the price down. Trying to future proof it as much as possible, maybe add a lower end ATI 6x series GPU later on, a blu-ray drive and a SSD, but can't currently afford those luxuries! I think the 300W PSU is sufficient for what I want to do, its unlikely I'll be overclocking it. Oh, and I'll generally be using it for programming, maybe a bit of light gaming, it'll probably be used a bit as a media center too (I've got most of my media on external hard drives so don't need terabytes of storage).

Any thoughts? :)

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

If you get the Lian Li PC-Q11 case over the Silverstone, you can get a normal sized power supply and HDD.. But if it's really important for it to be tiny stick with the Silverstone.

3. bmezz19

bmezz19 ...not a morning person!

Yeh, I'd prefer it to be smaller tbh, but not to the extent that it gets too hot. The SG05B seems to be rather good from the reviews I've read, not really bothered by aesthetics either...

4. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Sleepygamer and myself wrote a blog post on just such a subject over here. Should give you some ideas.

FWIW, I went for the Lian Li Q08 with a separate Silverstone Strider STF-sized PSU. Sleepy went for the Sugo 07 with the pre-installed PSU. We both realised full-size PSUs would hamper cooling, so either go pre-installed, or go smaller.