1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New here

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by WorkdayKama, 4 Jun 2009.

1. WorkdayKama

WorkdayKama What's a Dremel?

Thanks to the article in Custom PC, I thought I'd add my spare cycles to the project and this team. It's not going to be much of a contribution, but it all helps. I've not got a dedicated setup, just running in the background while I work.

My setup is an E8400 3GHz on a motherboard with onboard graphics provided by an nVidia 9400 powering two displays. At first I used a single core of my cpu which produced 280ppd. I then thought I'd give the onboard gpu a go, instead of the cpu, to see how it would effect my ability to work on the computer at the same time. To my surprise it produces 927ppd whilst not effecting my computer use at all. The only difference I can see is that the gpu temp has risen by 10C.

2. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

Welcome on board,

I'd just like to mention also, all contributions to Chips Challenge would be gratefully received but I'm sure we'd all understand if you want to get some points on the board for yourself initially.

Good luck

3. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Welcome aboard mate :)

If you can spare a bit more CPU time it might be worth running an SMP CPU client which will produce 3-4 times as much.

I have 2 x E8400 CPUs running on Linux virtual machines and the stock E8400 will produce 2800ppd and I have one overclocked to 3.6hz which produces 3200ppd :)

If you need help on anythign just give us a shout and have a read of the stickys which are a great help :thumb:

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Welcome aboard.

Let us know if you need any help.

The VMWARE SMP guide (with priorty set to low or idle) will produce loads of points while still giving you a usable machine.

5. WorkdayKama

Thanks for the welcomes...

... I've just set up the vmware smp, as suggested, and that's producing 2705ppd, but the gpu client wont run at the same time as It now reports that it's an unstable machine.

Not bad progress though. From 280ppd to 2705ppd in one day without new hardware :thumb:

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Make sure you set the priority of the vmware process to low and it should be fine

7. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Welcome aboard :)

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Welcome to the team! Nice to see you've already got the VMware SMP client up and running, it's a great way to get lots of points from a dual or quad core CPU :)

9. WorkdayKama

Now I've got the gpu client going at the same time as the vmware. I changed the gpu to report less memory as it was claiming to have all the system memory as it's on board graphics and added -local to the start shortcut. I don't which of these two fixed it, but they are both running now. :D

It's somewhat of a stress test and I can certainly tell the computer is busy with other things now.

Is there a way in Vista to set it so that it remembers that vmware should be low priority?

10. patchcable

patchcable Preparing to commence simulation

A number of people are using prifinitty, you may want to give that a go. There is a guide provided by phoenicis here.