1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New Dell U2413 Coming soon.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 4 Dec 2012.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hello,

Dell has announced a new monitor to replace the impressive Dell U2410. How does it compare, how much it will cost, are the questions you probably ask yourself.

[​IMG]

Well,
    The U2413 follows the same look and build quality as the U2312HM, U2412M, and U2713. So in other words its much cheaper quality, still good, but cheaper than what the U2410 was.

- Resolution is still, 1920x1200. It's a 16:10 monitor

- It features an AH-IPS panel, this is compared to the H-IPS panel from the U2410. I don't know the differences between the two at the moment. (from LG)

- 1.07 billion colors (10-bit colors), like the U2410

- Here is something new, the screen also features hardware calibration with a programmable 14-bit LUT.

- The panel is still true 8-bit panel with AFRC to achieve 10-bit colors

- It is a 6ms response time monitor same as the U2410.

- USB 3.0 hub, while the U2410 had a USB 2.0 hub, so this is good.

- DisplayPort 1.2 support

- LED back light, so expect blue tint on everything compared to the U2410, mostly visible on whites and grays. Contrast is automatically better though, due to the fact that the back light is no longer directly on the back of the panel, and is at the bottom.

- Still pre-color calibrated with report.

- What is interesting is that Dell claims it does 99% Adobe RGB, despite using non-wide-gamut back light, and100 % of sRGB with a 2 deltaE calibration (note, this is what Dell claims). So maybe it won't have any backlight tint issue common on LED backlight monitor. Interesting.

- Gone are composite and component inputs, and second DVI port

- Its inputs are: DisplayPort 1.2, mini-DisplayPort, DVI-D and HDMI

- The monitor fully support DisplayPort 1.2, meaning it has DisplayPort OUT, to support daisy chaining multiple monitors as extended desktop from 1 plug from your GPU (up to 4 at 1920x1200, if I am not mistaken)

- Gone with Picture-in-Picture features

- 3H hardened coating antiglare is still there

- Touch sensitive control still there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source:
    Dell China - http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=cn&cs=cnbsd1&l=zh&s=bsd&sku=391-10089
    TftCentral: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/27.htm#dell_u2413_1

So beside the lower build quality, different looks (which personal I am not a fan of) and reduce inputs, and perhaps the removal of not very important features for most like Picture-in-Picture, and side-by-side picture-in-picture, this monitor looks interesting.

The estimated price tag is ~880$ U.S (may guess is that it will probably be 750$, as the U2410 was at the time of release).

Last edited: 16 Dec 2012
  2. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

Interesting. Thanks for the solid info as usual GoodBytes.

Do you think there is a chance they will soon be releasing a new version of the U3011? It's been on sale quite a bit lately, which is very unusual for Dell.

3. GoodBytes

Rumor suggested sometime next year, but Dell is very secretive with this. They just tend to release stuff quietly.

It looks like the U3011 didn't sell too well (which is expected due to the high price tag, and currently niche market). So I guess they are trying to empty their stock.

4. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

750 - 880$ jezus... Thats allot for that size

5. GoodBytes

Well to be honest, when I got my U2410, it was 750$, but after negotiation, I got it down to 500$.

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Interesting for sure, but why would it cost as much as the U2410 if it has less features? I would imagine they would be cutting some of the less used features to get the price down to appeal to a wider market.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Hardware calibration is interesting at this price point. Interested to if that turns out to be true or not. What's the res? The photo looks like it may be 16:9.. in which case.. fail!

[edit]

Just read elsewhere.. it's 16:10. Good.

YEHBABY and David like this.
  8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Daisy chaining Monitors, o.o sounds awesome. If not expensive.

9. NRG IT - Olly

NRG IT - Olly What's a Dremel?

Is the main difference between this and the U2412M the amount of connections? The U2412M definitely seemed lacking in that department. I can't say I'm fan of this design either. I like the ruggedness of the U2410. That's definitely up there with my favourite Dell design along with the S2340L, although that's not particularly rugged looking. There's something reassuring about having to put a bit of effort into lifting a monitor!

10. GoodBytes

No it's more than that.
    -> The U2412M uses a 6-bit color per channel panel (common on lower end IPS panels and in all TN panels) and not a true 8-bit color per channel panel. (red, green and blue are what are called channels). The panel that the U2412M uses is an eIPS panel (economy IPS panel), and the U2413 uses an H-IPS panel

-> The U2412M doesn't come calibrated with 2 color profile of your choosing: Adobe RGB and sRGB

-> The U2412M doesn't have USB 3.0 hub built-in, only a USB 2.0

-> The U2412M doesn't have as a media card reader

-> The U2412M can doesn't have a color processor, or a Look Up Table system.

-> Max color output the U2412M is 16.7 million colors, and the U2413 is 1.07 billion colors (but you require the hardware configuration and drivers to support it, not to mention content to enjoy it).

11. NRG IT - Olly

NRG IT - Olly What's a Dremel?

OK. Fair enough. It certainly seems like a step up then. I'll look froward to seeing one in the flesh.

Thanks for the information :)