1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wozniak predicts a win for Android

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 18 Nov 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

It's nice to hear someone saying "Look, they're both good, but X is going to win, and here's why..."

Also, just a quick note - posted this over on Facebook, and the accompanying text reads:

"Wozniak predicts a win for Android. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has predicated that Android, not iOS, will win the smartphone war."

:duh:

3. dactone

dactone dact-one

they should make the apple logo spin round on the back of laptops'so it isn't upside down when you open it .

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

That's a very old Apple laptop he's using. All the modern ones have the logo the right way up when the lid is open. I never understood how the old ones got out the door with the logo upside down in the first place!

5. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

Super intelligent guy. Right about Nokia too, they're trying but they still can't compete with Android, let alone iOS or WebOS

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm not surprised, and I don't doubt that he has a good reasoning.

Personally, I cannot stand the Android OS, I'll stick to my iPhone, or a Nokia standard phone (IE: not smart).

7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

In todays society convenience is favoured over performance, sadly. For some reason, completely beyond my understanding, people actually buy music albums from itunes and the like when the CD can be purchased for less money and is of a higher quality

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

did he mention the windows Phone?

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

he forgot jailbroken iOS's :D

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I went Android because I can't stand iTunes.

11. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I like Android, mainly because of the diversity in handsets and layouts and so on. The Apple philosophy of one setup, one OS means that the platform is more stable and receives more predictable updates, but it does mean that they can overcharge for something that is far from one size fits all. Android has got phones as small as the X10 Mini Pro, which is a lovely little thing to use, all the way up to the Desire HD, and that Dell thing. There's a phone coming up, apparently, with a full 1280x720 screen. Across 4 inches. :O The variance in phones is just amazing.

12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I can't fault anything he says. Damn.

13. Cafuddled

Cafuddled What's a Dremel?

Google always said they would bring out an OS to crush Microsoft, so in this respect they did with the phones... Anyone using windows Mobile 7 by the way?

14. dactone

dactone dact-one

damn thers go's my idea for world domination.... iv already applied for dragons den !

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Using Android myself, but a mate of mine has got WP7, and he let me have a go of it. It was definitely slickly implemented and easy to use, but I didn't get much of a chance to fiddle. Definitely looks like a soild effort from my short hands-on though.

16. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Nokia should rethink and take aim at Blackberry and the business market.

With regards to the iOS and Android, I think that Android will take the lead mainly due to its open-ness and flexibility, Apple have too much of a strangle hold on everything they produce.

Having said that, in my 18 months of using an iPhone 3G I never had a problem doing whatever I wanted to mainly due to the fact that I was happy just rolling along and using it without wanting to get under the skin as it were. Now I have a Desire and because the option is there for more monkeying about with it, that is what I have done.

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Just a few days ago I read in the German IT magazine c't' that dark days may be ahead for Android. Not because the OS is any way lacking from a technical point of view, but for the simple reason that the main force behind Android, Google, lacks the necessary patents for successful cross-licensing.

Most of the other big players, including Microsoft, Apple and Nokia, do have large and, more importantly, *relevant* licensing pools. Google hasn't, and what it has is mostly not applicable or interesting in regard to phones.

19. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Right. /s

20. Comet

Comet What's a Dremel?

Very honest opinion and it shows the direction that Apple wants to go and frankly theres nothing bad about it.
    Plain and simple you have two choices. You eighter open you're platform to third-parties and thus fight to become the main platform in the world or you keep your platform closed but extremely polished and get full profits of every unit sold with your platform. Both business models work great and are highly profitable. Unlike Android and Windows Phone 7, Apple doesn't need their platform to reach the same number of devices to reach the same profitability.
    The only problem with Apple's model is that if the competition can provide as much quality in its services and interface as Apple, people may end up choosing the platform that gives them more options for the buck. That's precisely what Microsoft and Google are aiming for.
    I don't know. I think what will happen in the end is the same that usually happens with all the device based companies. You create enough of a fan base to keep your products going. If you're an Apple fan with most of your home devices being Apple you'll obviously pick Apple's mobile platform and so on even if they don't always have best price/quality ratio.
    Fortunatly I've been able to play with each company devices and in all honesty the combination of services and good looks on Apple's side still gives it an advantage. Microsoft platform may not be up to the level of the competition yet, but it has some advantages where it trully counts when compared to Android for instance. Xbox Live Gaming, Zune and the gorgeous looks will do for Microsoft what iTunes and so on did for Apple. Google needs to do the exact same thing. Everything in the cloud is good but it needs to be backed by quality services that are both usefull and fun to use.

Little side note. I'm betting on Android for now. The upcoming Android OS updates will show if Google has the muscle to compete with the companies that have a lot of experience with entertainment media experiences.

Tags: Add Tags