1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Tips on making hole for Power Button?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hokage, 24 Apr 2012.

1. hokage

hokage What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Wondering if you could give me some ideas or tips on a hole for my power button on a scratch build. I've got a Bulgin vandal switch and I'll be attaching it to a .220 acrylic sheet.

I have a dremel and a handheld wireless drill, would a dremel be the best idea with what I have?
    The issue is, getting the hole big enough, round enough, and a proper fit. I only have small dremel / drill bits. Should I just keep drilling until it's big enough? Because that's a lot of stop and go testing, I just figured maybe someone had a better idea. Is there an actual circle size or is it pretty much a "measure and drill" type of job?

Getting a round hole is my main issue and I don't want to end up with it too big because that means I have to start over. Preciseness is not a strong point on my part but I'm slowly improving. Even a premade tool for that stuff would work.

Any ideas would be great, thanks

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Measure the switch.
    Mark the circle on the acrylic. (use a coin, or anything that is close. Preferably slightly larger than you need),
    Drill lots of little holes around the inside of the circle, close together.
    Push the waste out.
    File clean and round.

Or....

Buy a drill bit/hole cutter/spade bit for the size you need. No drill? Buy one, here the big hardware shops have em for fifteen bucks.

Or.....

Buy a smaller drill bit and file the rest of the way with a round file. Don't have round file? Get one, they are cheap.

Or.....

Take it somewhere to have the hole cut for you. Laser cutters, machine shop, school.

Or.....Google, ask a friend, ask Dad to do it for you.

Seriously, pretty difficult to make a scratch build without some files and a drill and some drill bits.

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Draw the exact size hole you need (around the switch) and drill a hole big enough to fit in a circular sanding attachment for your dremel and just slowly grind away the material until its large enough.

The switch will have a couple of mm overlap which will hide slightly rough edges remember.

4. hokage

hokage What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, I have a drill, but I don't think a arbor adapter for a hole saw will fit it. Smallest one I could find was 3/8 inch and I think even that was too big for my handheld drill.
    I think I'll just file till it's close.

3/4 in. hole for a bulgin vandal switch correct?

5. Reconnec7ed

Reconnec7ed What's a Dremel?

Your planning on completing an entire scratch build and you asking how to drill a hole?

6. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Perhaps he hasn't worked with acrylic before and would prefer to make sure he does it right than get it wrong. Whatever his reasoning for being cautious I think he's looking for constructive comments ;)

Last edited: 24 Apr 2012
    Apophis54 likes this.
  7. hokage

hokage What's a Dremel?

I've never drilled a hole that size before. For big holes, I just use a dremel circle guide, but it doesn't go that small. For mounting holes...yea kinda just in and out.

Point is, I don't want to spend another $40-50 for a drill, arbor, and hole saw just for 1 hole so I was wondering if there's another option.

Does that make more sense?

8. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

This may come in handy.

Clickly Link!

It might give you a better idea of where to start.

Cheers
    Enterobsidian