1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Double Helix (1/03 Update: Done with Final Pics)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tm36usa, 2 Oct 2005.

1. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Comments: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1078283#post1078283
    I have been gathering parts for this project since Spring Break of this year and now have almost everything so I can get started. The Idea is for this to be a fast and quiet machine that will be portable to lans. Looking into getting a carpool together with my mates to next years Quakecon.

The Case:
    [​IMG]
    (Image from Newegg, but re-hosted)
    A nice Lian Li PC-65B, my first Lian Li case. I couldnt be more happy with it, its the best.

Now for the main parts:
    [​IMG]

Asus A8N-SLI
    AMD A64 3000+ 939
    Leadtek 6800GT (oc'ed to past a 6800 Ultra) (256mb GDDR3 on a 256-bit interface)
    OCZ Gold PC3200 Dual Channel 1gb DDR
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS Soundcard
    Samsung 16x Dual Layer DVD burner
    Western Digital 250gb Sata 2 Harddrive
    Western Digital 160gb ide drive
    PCI Serial Card for Matrix Orbital Displays

First, I striped it down and took out the stepper bits to make the reset switch hole bigger to fit a bulgin switch. I also installed the Lian Li Cd bracket.
    [​IMG]

Here it is with both bulgin switches in and lit up:
    [​IMG]

Carbon Fiber Usb Ports:
    [​IMG]

And the Usb Cable sleeved:
    [​IMG]

Front Fans with vibration dampeners and filters:
    [​IMG]

LCD Goodness, Brand New Matrix orbital 40x4 lcd and brand new MO 20x2 with their custom power adapters:
    [​IMG]

A look at the small parts bin for the mod. Lots of blue and green leds
    [​IMG]

Most of the Watercooling gear, Im still waiting for my res. All Danger Den 3/8" stuff, RBX, Maze4 Chipset, Maze4 gpu block, CSP-MAG pump, fillport and clamps.
    [​IMG]

DD BIX with shroud and modded fan. 77cfm at 30db! :rock: (never going to run at full 12v)
    [​IMG]

PsOne Screen already taken out of its case and waiting to go in. Not going to vga mod it as I will be using both vga ports on my card for dual monitors on my desk, im just going to run it off s-video.
    [​IMG]

The rest of my sound absorbsion stuff along with my OCZ copper ramsinks
    [​IMG]

More modding to come real soon, Gonna go work on the psu.
    Drop your comments here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1078283#post1078283

Last edited: 3 Jan 2007
  2. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

3. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Wow, looks promising. Can't wait to see more progress! ;)

Nice specs too.

4. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

PSU Modding 2nd October

My Tt 430 watt ATX2.0 PSU came with ugly white connecters and silver grills. This was fixed promptly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments please :thumb:

Last edited: 2 Oct 2005
  5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

damn dude....ur just as anal about noise polution as i am....i need to ask you a favour.. where did you get ur fan dust filters from??? as i need two for 92mm/120mm fans for my project log aswell??

could you let me know matey!!

also awesome hardware matey...im looking forward to updates :thumb:

6. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I got them from www.svc.com, but im pretty sure svc is only in the USA :wallbash: They are made by a company called kgear so that might help you. Yeah I am pretty anal about noise but my dad is even more, I cant leave me door open if my current computer is on at night to download something without hearing about it the next day how it kept him up.

As for the hardware, yeah im still ammazed myself that its over $1400 worth of stuff and I only have about $100 left to pay back to my parents, of corse, I've had to sell alot of my stuff but it was all worth it. Hopefully this new comp should last me through college.

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Looking good, esp the PSU, nice job! ;)

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Nice work on the PSU, and good hardware as well, but I'd be weary about actually using a Thermaltake PSU. They're not horrid but certainly not great, and imo too loud for their ratings and price.

9. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Really? I've used a 420watt Tt psu on a a64 3500+ 939, MSI K8n, 6600gt and it was stable, and my psu was on sale for $40 bucks at microcenter. So we will see, if it does suck, then it will be a nice antec true power for me!

Thanks for all the comments. Also one quick question, should I have my rad fan pull or push air through the rad? I thought it would be better to pull but ya never know. Keep in mind that there is a shroud that spaces the fan about an inch off the rad.

Also anyone know where to get plexi like DÈF¥âÑt used in Masta Blasta. The stuff that is totaly black (you cant see through it) until there is light behind it and it becomes sort of smoked (just look at his pics for the idea). Anyone with any ideas on where to get it would be great as I'm going nuts trying to source it localy.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2005
  10. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

DVD-RW Modding 2nd October

Now I've Caught the modding bug and have post-poned doing my homework for a little bit to work on my dvd-rw drive. Because I had the cd stealth cover I wasnt going to do anything special to the drive but because the color black it was didnt match the lian li's black I knew something had to be done. Bring out the carbon fiber :naughty:

Drive after the mod:
    [​IMG]

Drive installed and being tested with the stealth cover.
    [​IMG]

I think the restults are sweet for it only taking 5 minutes tops. Lets see what you think: Comments

Last edited: 3 Oct 2005
  11. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Bulgin Switches Wired and Sleeved 4th October

I haven't had much time to work on my case since Sunday on account of school, but heres what I did do. Not alot I know, but it needed to be done.

I got the Bulgin Switches Wired and Sleeved today
    [​IMG]

A shot of the connecters:
    [​IMG]

The switches lit up and working on a test computer: Mmmmmm Purrdy.....
    [​IMG]

And of course, a project log could not be complete without a picture of my "helper" laying down on the job: My dog Sparky (husky with a bit of Chow (hence the purple tongue and curly tail)
    [​IMG]

Well thats all I have for your now, upsetting I know, but not much more will probably be done until sunday because of school all week and homcoming this weekend. As always Comments

12. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

nice start.

I'm not sure I like the carbon fibre on the optical drive, but I need to see a pic of it installed in the case before I decide on this.

oh, and nice dog. Husky and Chow, nature's way of modding :)

13. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Im at school right now but when I get home, I'll post a pic of drive in the case.

ohh yeah, over 1,000 views and only 5 replies? Come on, any Input is greatly aprisiated. Thanks

14. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

As promised, heres a couple of shots of the cd drive instaled in the case:

[​IMG]

So what do you guys think, yes or no lol.

Also, has anyone notcied the forums are slow to load, to forever to get to the main forum page and then to get into a thread. ok gtg

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I actually like the carbon fibre. Splits everything up a bit.
    And yeah, the forums went a bit slow for me for a few hours, your not alone! :)

16. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Yep, me too.

Great job, man! I'm local, so I should try and get to see this thing in action when it's done. It's looking beautiful so far. I'm still not sure on the carbon fiber, but it may make a whole lot more sense when the rest of the case doesn't have those gaping holes where LCDs should be. :)

17. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Great job man!..
    Nice dog! I've got 2 100 percent chows! one black one and one brown one. lol there names are "Bear" and "Yogi"

18. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

I didn't think I'd like the carbon fibre bur seeing that picture above I have changed my mind I quite like, as said above it splits it up.

All in all a great job

19. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

4th December

Wow! What a long time since an update! I had to dig to the 3rd page to find my log! I didnt want to wait this long for another update but school gets in the way almost everynight (in fact, i should be writing an essay right now :D ) I'm trying to finish this by the holidays for a big lan over break. I would have more done there have been some problems.

The major problem deals with my res. I have been waiting since August for the res i wanted to come instock. Finally last week it did so I ordered it. When it came on Friday, I open it up and what do it find?? Its all scrached and is double the size the site said it was. I'm working on sending it back and getting a dual 3 1/2" res to go in the hardrive rack. More time wasted

On a positve note, I snagged this off of fleabay for $30 bucks
    [​IMG]
    Matrix Orbital LK-204-25 I bought it to replace the 20x2 display that I was going to use

Ok on with the update:

Last Monday while I had some downtime in engineering so I made a template for the top of my case and plotted it.

[​IMG]
    All taped up and ready to drill

[​IMG]
    Hole for the filport drilled, next I drilled the holes for the handles

After that I started working on the fans. I started with Blue Coolermaster fans and when i was finished I had these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Replaced 2 blue leds on each one with green ones, prefect match to my color scheem. (I removed the stickers on them after the pictures but was too lazy to take another picture)

Last thing to do on those was to wire them in parallel and sleeve them. I also seperated and sleeved the rpm sensor so I can get reading with my motherboard.
    [​IMG]

Ending Shots

Shot of the Installed Hardware
    [​IMG]

Entire Case with the lighst on:
    [​IMG]

Lights Off:
    [​IMG]

The front fans project a sweet pattern out of the vents:
    [​IMG]

Blowhole fan got the same treatment as the front ones (Fan installed temporary, the hardware store didnt have long enought button head cap screws :grr: :
    [​IMG]

Side shot (the 3 fans light the case up really well, pictures dont really show it)
    [​IMG]

Front Fans:
    [​IMG]

Inside showing the Fillport and Fan (Fan looks blue even though its blue/green)
    [​IMG]

Not bad for 4 hours of work (those fans too a long time because Im too cautious) I hope to update when the new res comes in (hopefully unscratched :rolleyes: ) Untill Then Comments

Last edited: 5 Dec 2005
  20. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?